DSC_0016 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 880
Some great inhabitants right there! how long have you had your green mandarin? Are you sure you have the constant food for him in there? it is a very small tank.

i know... i will begin culturing pods to fatten him up soon although the pod population is still visible. i trained him to eat vitamin enhanced frozen brine and he loves it now! i know however that there is not enough variety of nutrients and so i will be boosting the pods and cutting back on the frozen brine. its been about a month since i bought him and had to re-train him to eat frozen, the place i got him said he already ate strictly frozen mysis and brine, but i didnt know until i after i fed him tons of live brine so he became picky again or they didnt know what they were talking about because he was skkkiiinnnyyy! but hes gaining weight :). now he wolfs down the brine that i hide round the tank for him.

As long as you know that and are aware :) I got my mandarin the other day, love them, amazing fish

yea i know it makes me sad to watch people malnourish their mandarins on just pellets or brine... if i had a larger tank i would have him strictly on pods but until i upgrade i wanted to integrate frozen just so he didnt kill off the entire pod population... plus its convenient for when i start culturing pods, if they crash or what ever i have a back up so he doesnt starve.
when i do feed him frozen i try to enhance it with vitamins and i lace it with some garlic.. although at this point he doesnt care about the garlic being there or not.. now its more for the health benefits.

its a nice looking tank but I fear it will be very over-crowded feeling very soon... the clown will start to fight with the chromis and a mandrin will starve in a 10g even if you have him on brine... theres no way he hasn't wiped out your population of pods yet... they eat 24/7 and unless you are dosing in copes I doubt there are very many in there :(

and I think your clam will out grow the 10 also....

is that an airrator stone you have in the tank? if so you might want to take it out... that will just cause more salt creep and problems :l and be careful with the nem, its likely to sting the mandrin/other corals if it moves....

its a nice looking tank but I fear it will be very over-crowded feeling very soon... the clown will start to fight with the chromis and a mandrin will starve in a 10g even if you have him on brine... theres no way he hasn't wiped out your population of pods yet... they eat 24/7 and unless you are dosing in copes I doubt there are very many in there :(

and I think your clam will out grow the 10 also....

is that an airrator stone you have in the tank? if so you might want to take it out... that will just cause more salt creep and problems :l and be careful with the nem, its likely to sting the mandrin/other corals if it moves....

thank you for your concern but i am not ignorant to these problems... this tank will end up the qt tank for my soon to be 55 gallon which will eventually be a 157 gallon custom.
and i see and can isolate pods at night soooooo unless there is some parasite or just a bug that looks exactly like them, then i do have a decent pod population. my mandarin has gained weight since my purchase and i will be dosing the tank with pods regularly anyway.... in the larger tank i will be switching to pods only but i believe a mandarin can thrive on vitamin enhanced frozen for brief periods of time... and it is more for a boost of food intake. hhaha and dont worry i would never try to grow a clam out in a ten gallon.
you do have years of experience on me so you can discredit me if you like but i am at least aware of these issues.

oh and the clown and chromis thing.. wellll the chromis will be gone after today so that clears up that problem. :)

ah okay :) thats cool then.... its still hard for me to find that there are copes in there but mabye you are feeding him enough frozen :dunno:

My experience comes from the cold water side of the ocean lol, i'm here learning along with everyone else when it comes to a reef.... If you want stuff thats in the colder regions I'm a master at setting up those type of tanks (thanks to the wonderful people at the monterey bay aquarium, i work there).... but reefs are still newer to me :p

oh yes yes biff got it :) just a shroom that is now hopefully attached to my main piece of live rock hah. the green one is dead :( dont cut shrooms in half prematurely heh
but the purple should be attaching soon if not already! :)

thanks everybody! btw the haitian is gone and the bta is the only anemone left. :) HE MOVES EVERY DAY THOUGH GRRRRRRRRR

If he is moving around daily, you should take him back to the store.. that means they are unhappy and most times death follows along with a tank nuking! so be careful

Back