75 Gallon in Wall Aquarium w/ 55 Sump first tank and build

necat

Reefing newb
Hello All, Im going to post the pictures I have of my build. Bare with me as I am learning as I go. This wall was ready for paint in my almost finished basement when a friend and some beers gave me this idea! I started this last Sat morning, and have been working on it at night. Im currently waiting for advice in another thread and will post more pictures as I progress.

Details:

75 Gallon drilled tank in wall with Overflow box
55 Gallon sump with Reef Octopus NWB-150 Skimmer and not sure of pump!
Whirlpool RO System and extra outlets ran.
Above tank is for TV to be recessed in wall.

I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Start of Project.jpg
    Start of Project.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Back of Wall New.jpg
    Back of Wall New.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Hole cut in wall front.jpg
    Hole cut in wall front.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 990
  • Hole cut in wall back.jpg
    Hole cut in wall back.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:
More pics

Attachments

• Front wall with tank.jpg
    Front wall with tank.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,560
  • Front wall with drywall.jpg
    Front wall with drywall.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 650
  • Back wall framed complete.jpg
    Back wall framed complete.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 983
Sump in place and R/O System. Extra outlets ran as well.

Attachments

• sump in place.jpg
    sump in place.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • power boxes.jpg
    power boxes.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,043
Looks like this is going to be really awesome, and I'm looking forward to following along!! What do you want to have in your tank? FOWLR or reef?

Current progress and doing plumbing now. Waiting on advice on whether or not to run return pipe into water or keep it above water line in skim chamber. This is becoming quite the project! ha

I also put a "vapor" barrier up around the tank and sump to try and slow down the damage the salt water will eventually do.

Ill post more as I progress further. Thank you for viewing!! :Cheers:

Attachments

• sump and tank in place.jpg
    sump and tank in place.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 965
Looks like this is going to be really awesome, and I'm looking forward to following along!! What do you want to have in your tank? FOWLR or reef?

Sorry I had to google "FOWLR" lol (I said I was new to this!) :D

I would say more FOWLR than reef. I want action in the tank as it is behind the bar and will be a focal point. I also have a young (4) son and daughter (3 months) who will want to watch "NEMO" and other fish swim!

Im hoping I can still get some anenimes (sp) and such as well however. Im wanting both worlds but know this is not ideal. I will stay more towards the fish side!

Would you like me to move this to the Tank Showcase forum? That is where people can follow along with your tank build.

If you are going to plan for anemones, you will need very strong lighting. And they shouldn't be added before 6 months to a year as they usually do not do well in young tanks. They are very challenging animals to keep, but if you want other colorful things, there are many corals that can be kept with less intense lights that are easy to keep.

Would you like me to move this to the Tank Showcase forum? That is where people can follow along with your tank build.

If you are going to plan for anemones, you will need very strong lighting. And they shouldn't be added before 6 months to a year as they usually do not do well in young tanks. They are very challenging animals to keep, but if you want other colorful things, there are many corals that can be kept with less intense lights that are easy to keep.

That would be great if you would move it! I didnt know if I could post in there yet as I dont have much to "showcase" at this time! lol :D

That is great advice on the anemones. I just have two T-5 lights for now so I wont try it. Im waiting to recoup some of the money this build is costing!! Im sure this is not new to you guys but everything seems to be costly! Ill look forward to getting more help with corals when I get this tank running! (hopefully soon!)

Thank you!

Main plumbing done. Need a few more pieces to pick up tomorrow and then hopefully its water and sand time.

That brings up another question. Do I need to use crushed coral and sand? How many pounds is ususally sufficient for a 75 gallon tank?

I dont think my RO system is going to get my tank full fast enough....may have to supplement some water to get this moving along!

Is anyone using timers for their set ups? I havent even begun to understand when things need to be on and off. Or if ever.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,802
Sand is far, far, far better than crushed coral. I would also add until you have an inch or so. But dont go any deeper than 3.

Also, i know you mentioned the NEMO inspirations and will just let you know now that Dori needs a huge, 8ft long tank to be happy. However, a pair of "nemos" will do great in your tank.

Looking really good! When you get ready to add your fish try to add them least aggressive first! I'm running into an issue with that. Cant wait to see more!

Is anyone using timers for their set ups? I havent even begun to understand when things need to be on and off. Or if ever.

Your protein skimmer and return pump will run all the time, the powerheads can run all the time or be put on a wavemaker, your light can go on a timer to turn on and off on a regular cycle.

This is one great build, can't wait to see it come along. :D

This forum is great and I really appreciate the advice. You should notice this in this pictures as I incorporate your ideas! :) Thanks again!:mrgreen:

Back