beginner in refugium algaes

Treezer8

Reefing newb
So I have just started my new sump, and in my refugium section I am just using rock and the algae that everyone uses. Got a mixed back from one of my LFS,
I know there's a small bit of chaeto in there, but not sure about the other stuff, I forgot to ask.

So I'm wondering what I need to do to take care of them? I have a small clamp-on lamp with a bulb in it, 60w I think, hanging over all of it. Do I need to do anything to the actual algae to keep it healthy?

And for the lighting schedule, I've heard 16 on 8 off? Should the 8 hours off be while my DT lights are on?

Thanks!

Here's a pic of what I got
2013-01-24_16-19-58_168.jpg

2013-01-24_16-19-35_213.jpg

2013-01-24_16-19-28_938.jpg

That is fern caulerpa. Some people keep their fuge lights on 24/7. Others turn it on at night when their DT lights are off. I personally only keep the fuge lights on about 12 hours a day, because I found that I will grow all that other nasty algae. You don't really need any special care for them, just cut some out when there is too much growing in your fuge.

Thanks reef, looked it up and thats the stuff for sure. There's only a little chaeto in there, so I'll try to even it out as it grows and have half of each

So I'm noticing some of the fern algae starting to turn into a clear white on the ends. I pulled the parts out that were, was only a few. Should I be worried?

Also, is there a way to do a DIY top off system or something? Because it must be from evaporation and I don't have any tops on my tank, but the return pump chamber is always running low, so I add the topoff water to last few chambers

I don't remember how many watts my bulb was, but I just used one of those regular swirly bulbs that you can get from home depot. I don't have a timer for my lights, so it varies form day to day. Most of the time, I keep the lights on all through the night and maybe 2 or 3 hours in the day.

My twisty bulb is a 6500k is suppose to replace a 100 watt incandescent bulb. It looks really yellow not a bright white at all. I have to half the cheato every month. It is on a reverse time cycle as the tank light. so basically 14 hours a day.

The light is definitely more yellow than white.
Ok so I am replacing the bulb with a stronger one

Before: 60w replacement w/ 800lumens
New bulb: 100w replacement w/ 1600 lumens

I'll see how it does.

Back