Cant stop thinking about Plywood tanks

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Well most of you know i have a 75gallon already. things got put on hold since i came to school in texas. so ive been reading alot on forums and such. and since the first article i read about plywood tanks i have been INFATUATED. just the thought of making a bigger tank. But at the same time i havent started my 75 so i dont quite know what to expect. building the thing is not a problem. Right now im just thinking 6feet long, 3 feet wide, 3 feet deep. but im wondering if a new guy to reefing should even be considering this? or is better to go big now and just learn as i go. so i thought ill ask you guys and see what yall think. is it a feasible task, or should i stick with the 75? and am i crazy

whats up? i made my 66 gal. out of particle board that has formica on both sides of it. it's been holding water for about 14 months now. i was going to make mine out of plywood at first, but a plywood tank only makes money sense if you build a really big tank. 150 gal. and up. the epoxy isn't cheap. i will build one some day. maybe 200gals. or so.

yea the dimensions im thinking now put me around 300 or so. then i guess i can use the 75 for a sump or growout and the 29 can be QT

Yes, you're crazy.....

i would think by the time everything is said and done you'lll spend more money building a plywood tank than you would buying a tank the size you want. The only difference is that you wouldn't spend the money all at one time, youd spend it going back and forth to Home Depot 100 times...just buy a used tank.

The whole making your own tank just freaks me out....that is far above my paygrade, and if that damn thing breaks you can forget it, your house is destroyed.

A lot of guys in ryang's area have plywood tanks. They rock. I say do it. I have always wanted to. I'm sure he will chime in if he sees this thread.

We've got 3 plywood tanks at the store.2-280s and a 380.Been up and running for 15 years or so and not the first leak.

Yeah, the plywood seems like it's only a frame, not really strucural. With all the fiberglass and epoxy it's basically a bath tub once it's all set. The only silicone in the whole thing is the around the glass viewing areas.

When I get my own house, I'm already planning an 8x4x4 - 958 gallons made of plywood. I'm not sure if I'll ever actually do it, but in your case, +1 PRC

Back