FINALLY Matt's 55 Reef Tank

lilduud

Reefing newb
so all that is left is to hang the lights but here she is... i filled her and plumbed her last night and yesterday. the onnnlllyyy thing now is to get a back drop, hang the lights, and ad one elbow to the rerturn pump so it doesnt splash in my face. .... YAYYYY
97a953bf.jpg

thanks biff i actually had right after i took that picture... i had the sand in there with the tank half full for a night so thats why it was so low.

here are some more pics.. got the sump running now [found an elbow layin around] the "fuge" isnt attached yet and its technically a stand still as of now but its in there.. i didnt feel like burying all the pieces of rubble so theyre all in there with a power head and heater and light to purple up hopefully. the only thing id like to figure out now is whats making th emost noise and how to quiet it... something sounds like niagra falls and i thinks its the overflow... ill have to use 135 degree elbows instead of L turns

bdf93375.jpg

73dd9152.jpg

fc4f6402.jpg

Thanks everyone! I had more than enough problems along the way. Anyway after I got all the water running and the heaters in and stable I tossed a hermit and snail in just for fun, the hermit changed shells and I found them stuck together but they're both totally fine. Ammonia nitrite and nitrate are all zero an ph is 8.2. Since my live rock has gone from a mature tank directly to a holding bin directly to my tank do youthink it skipped the cycle? Even the 15 minute drive out of water from my ten gallon never cycled and I have a feeling this rock is more "stable" anyway

Last edited:
It's definitely possible that you skipped the cycle. It's not unheard of with cured rock transported properly.

haha thanks reeffreak you perv ;)

yea im thinkin i skipped/am going to skip the cycle because of the live rock transport. im still gunna wait a few weeks to add any real live stock but ill keep an eye on those two inverts i added and add a more substantial clean up crew over the next few weeks.

throw some fish food or a table shrimp (raw) into the tank and watch the chemistry to see what happens. You likely didn't have enough die off from the rock to initiate the cycle.

Well now it's a reef tank... Well my torch coral was attacking my frogspawn and bubble coral sooooo I plopped it into the 55. Also I put a I cm frag of bn that broke off in just to see what happens. But now it's an official reef tank at least haha

hi i was just curious if you still have a 55 gallon with a purple tang. i might buy one for my 55 gallon within the next couple of days. have you had good luck or bad luck with him. should i do it?

hi i was just curious if you still have a 55 gallon with a purple tang. i might buy one for my 55 gallon within the next couple of days. have you had good luck or bad luck with him. should i do it?

I have yet to add my tang as I want all my current inhabitants to be more stable In their roles before adding a fish that aggressive.

Sorry it's been so long since an update guys time to bust out the gopro!

Back