HOB overflow

WaVe RiDeR

Reefing newb
was looking into the already built HOB overflows but if i can make one for cheap i would rather do that, any decent ideas or does any one have any knowledge about them?

I just finished building this one about 15 minutes ago.

Overflow1.jpg

I just finished building this one about 15 minutes ago.

you building a snail guard or something for that guy? what happens when a large snail sits right on the screen and blocks/impedes flow and your return pump is still going at its rate and then dry?

Yes! It is not finished. The parts that go into the tank are not even glued together. Only the external pipes and elbows are glued at this time.

I have yet to finalize the interior. I may put it in a 2" pipe and cut slots at the top of the 2" pipe.

Like this.

29kwgsw.jpg

I actually have to use a 3" pipe for the overflow.

More pics soon. I put the first coat of paint on it. and it's looking pretty good!

Krylon Fusion.
that's what i used, too. i scored the surface with some light sanding and primered first for great adhesion. the stuff dries fast, too in proper temps and has held up with multiple coats in the tank even against scratching and bumping of rocks when aquascaping.

Not real happy with the flow rate of this design.

Unless I have a design flaw somewhere it is very sensitive to the rate of return from the pump. I have a 950gph turned down to what seems like a trickle.

The drain is just the vertical pipe with no elbow on it. Could that be the reason?

950gph with how much head? 1" PVC will net you about 200-300gph so if you have it turned down with no head to little head, that would make sense.

Back