Lightning Maroon Clown - I WANT ONE!

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
DSC_0223_600w.jpg

The Lightning Project - The ongoing saga of the PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish Breeding Project

If you want one, then pray for healthy off-spring. Only two have been found in the wild, and only one is still alive. First off-spring are going to settle out any day now, but so far it is anyone's guess whether they will inherit the pattern. The LMC has been battling bacterial infections for months now so most of us who have been following this undertaking are on pins and needles. The breeder (Matt Pedersen) spoke at my reef club last weekend - totally amazing and reinforces how important it is for all of us to be conscientious with our fish and to support tank-bred efforts in the SW hobby.

If you want one, then pray for healthy off-spring. Only two have been found in the wild, and only one is still alive. First off-spring are going to settle out any day now, but so far it is anyone's guess whether they will inherit the pattern. The LMC has been battling bacterial infections for months now so most of us who have been following this undertaking are on pins and needles. The breeder (Matt Pedersen) spoke at my reef club last weekend - totally amazing and reinforces how important it is for all of us to be conscientious with our fish and to support tank-bred efforts in the SW hobby.

Amen.

That is an interesting project. I truly hope they succeed.

My concern with information about rare mutations like this going public is that it could trigger a "gold rush" of unscrupulous collectors blindly wrecking fish habitats in their search for more LMC's.
Having commercially available tank-bred LMC's should eliminate this issue.

Wow. That is interesting.
I did not bet on the project getting results this early.

I don't think anyone did. Those fish literally were just hatched 11ish days ago, and have only just begun to show stripes and settle through metamorphosis in the last 2 days. Even if there was a hope that an F1 generation might show interesting patterns, I don't think anyone thought they would show it this early in the game. Of course, all that is known right now is that about 50% are showing wider aberrant bands (per the breeder's facebook page) - nothing definitive has been stated about those bands being clearly lightning-like, so it is still a wait and watch game. But regardless it is super exciting!

Just some random thoughts about this (this is just personal speculation):
1. The pattern aberration might not be as rare as speculated, within the context of a clutch coming from an aberrant parent(s).
2. However, compared to how many "normal" maroons are in the wild, this percentage of aberrant fish is extremely diluted.
3. It is also possible that the LMC variants have a genetic disadvantage compared to normal MC's and thus their high mortality rate.
This could be akin to certain dog breeds that require special foods because of severe over/underbite. But in the case of the LMC it could be an internal issue.

So with that in mind, it could be possible that within the sheltered confines of a breeding facility the LMC rearing could produce higher yields than originally expected.
If that is the case, the next step is to find out why very few of the LMC's survive in the wild.

That is AWESOME! I would love to have a pair of those, but I don't think I'll be able to afford them in this lifetime...

Well, its looking like there is about a 50% or better inheritance of the lightning gene (if things continue to look as good as they do now), so there might be a lot of these fish a couple of years down the road. Probably as expensive as the high end picassos and platinums, but I'll bet as there are more and more available the price will come down. I suspect this will be by far the most popular clown fish out there! I for one do plan on getting a pair at some point when I can afford them, even if its 10 years from now!

Ha! If I had the money and luck I would! And I've never bred a fish (though am very interested in doing so). But I think these first batch are spoken for - blue zoo aquatics has the right of first refusal (I think that's the correct way to phrase that - either that or they have first dibs) on the first few batches of off-spring, and I highly suspect those first batches will go to well respected breeders to try to get the lightning pattern well established. AND there are still so many unknowns. These fish are only 2 weeks old - who knows how many of those with aberrant patterns will make it to sexual maturity, and among those that do, what their adult patterns will actually look like. There is certainly a lot of buzz and hope surrounding this project right now, but I think there is still a long ways to go before there are "officially" F1 lightning maroons, let alone available for purchase :)

Back