The Loch Ness!

srsevy

New but informed
Even though my tank is only about 7months old, everything seems to be going very well. That was until my two Peppermint shrimp suddenly vanished..
I currently have a blue hippo tang, a yellow tang, two clowns, and a flame hawkfish. Oh I also have a rose anemone and I believe a white sebae anemone. All seem to get along very well and never bothered the shrimp. That was until this strange shrimp/crayfish looking animal showed up. It is about 1.2 - 2 in. long. I thought it was cool at first, but after purchasing two more shrimp which also vanished along with a few of my hermit crabs.
1.) does anyone know what this is?
2.) do you think it is the likely reason my inverts keep dying?

Thanks for the help!

e3beea56.jpg

b98d6cdb.jpg

P5102324.jpg

Mantis Shrimp. Most likely the reason your inverts keep dying. Luckily no fish yet! Get that thing out of there! For tips on how to do it, see the various other posts in this forum or wait for replies from the more experienced.

Edit: Ninja'ed by BL1

they're definitely difficult to catch, they are very very smart creatures. A few things you can try, and mind you if you aren't able to catch them the first try the trap will never work a second time, they'll learn.
1. tie a string on a fish net and put a silverside or something in the net. When the shrimp goes in the net for the food pull it out by the string.
2. Get an empty water bottle and poke a few small holes in the bottom to allow water flow. Drop a silverside in and tilt the bottle against your rocks. Wait for the shrimp to go in for the food then pull him out.
3. Last resort if the other two don't work. Pull the rock that he's living in out, and using a turkey baster shoot boiling water into his little hole until he comes out. It shouldn't take a lot.

Thanks for the help! I just google searched them, they get huge!

Yes, I would like to catch it if possible. The LFS seemed interested but now I don't know since it is not a nice pet..

It may have killed some fish, all of my cardinals died but I thought it was because my current was too strong.

I will update on how the capture goes. Thanks Again! This forum already has quickly proven to be very helpful and entertaining!

Last edited:
You may want to see if your LFS will give you some type of a credit if you can get it out alive. Certain types of mantis shrimp can sell for $60-$80 and can grow to 6+ inches. It's not a good pet for community tanks but people will setup small tanks just for those shrimp. My LFS is trying to get me one so I can set up a small tank for it.

Some people do keep mantis shrimp in separate tanks by themselves. They're neat little creatures. Complete little assholes, but neat. I don't know what the demand is like but if the LFS is willing to take him, or even better trade him for credit, that's better than dying any day.

Edit: damn! ninja'ed by BL1 again!

Oh! Important thing to note:

Do NOT try to grab it with your bare hands! Or any part of your hands! You can and will lose a finger.

+1 Kwsm...DO NOT attempt to grab or touch it. The mantis shrimp is considered one of the most aggressive species in the marine world.

+1 everyone Get it out!

Just one of many many many mantis attack videos on youtube hehehehe..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EEMeVSQWw0&feature=related]YouTube - Has Mr Mantis met his match?[/ame]

Think how tough that thing is to survive in the rock all the way to your tank. Good luck getting him out. They are nasty so be careful. Wear gloves in the tank, he can really rip your hand up and as fast as a lightning strike! They can even open clams and kill crabs way bigger than they are, they also have a attitude and no fear at all.

ya that thing has excelllllllllllllent eyesight, +1 on what smitty said, you dont want to loose a finger, especially that way lol....ouch, from what i know they come out at night and cause destruction, if you got any lfs by you that rent out traps thats the best way to go. or if you know what rock its in or can watch and see your best bet is to just take the rock out.

if you know which rock it hides in you can use some tongs to pick up the rock and put it in a bucket of fresh water and it will come out just dont use you hand to take the rock out.

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice! I will work on getting him out tonight. As long as it goes to the same rock as last night, I will be able to remove the rock without disturbing the surrounding rock. I am contacting my LFS about it, hopefully they will give me some store credit so I can replace the shrimp and fish I lost.

Good luck on that hunt.:D
Chances are,when you go to pull that rock,that mantis is gonna jump ship.Then it'll just run from rock to rock.
You best shot at catching him,is the net and line method.

they have THE BEST eyesight in the world and apparently can see in more colors than the human eye can....

those things are N.A.S.T.Y. I'm hoping today I don't find one taking apart my lil tank, we're moving everything over to my 75 today and in the past we've heard that notorious clicking way too much...

Back