Neon green algae

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
I have been getting a lot of neon green in my tank and I dont really know if that is good or bad. Anyone know what it is? Its growing fast and is extremely hard to remove from the glass. Its not slimy or hairy, its like the purple stuff i've been getting everywhere lately which i know is good but have no clue about the neon green. Looks cool just dont know what it is.

Here are two pics:

DSCF0732.JPG

DSCF0734.JPG

it is just nuisance algae that pops up when parameters are not so good. Either a new set up or too many nutrients in the water. Algae is always a sign something needs to be corrected. Realize that it will always grow in our tanks and is the bain of our existence (that and cyano). It is common to grow on the glass to the point that it needs to be cleaned every three days or so. If you need to clean the glass daily, you have a bigger problem. A good cleaning crew tends to keep it under control, as does a seasoned tank. Keep scraping it off the glass, check your parameters and give a list of feeding schedule with your tank.

-Doc

true. I would be more worried about keeping the glass clean and letting the cleaning crew handle the stuff on the rocks. Be worried if it starts looking like tiny hairs are sprouting up on the rocks. If that starts to happen, toss in two or three Mexican Turbos and they will take care of it, before it gets out of control.

-Doc

Its common with young systems.I had it in every tank I set up.It seems to grow on areas of the rock thats not covered in coralline.Once the tank matures the neon green will go away provided you keep up with parameters(low nitrate and zero phosphate).Take a razor blade on the front and side glass,let the rest take its course.

That's what i wanted to figure out too. If its coralline. Its the same texture as the purple. Its just neon green.

I agree with Biff.I personally think its just green coralline.I have some the exact same color,along with a spot or 2 of orange way in the back.

Back