12 Gallon FOWLR for My Dad

mikewurtz

FOWLR Power!
Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it has the potential to become a (small) build thread, I'll put it here.

First, backstory:

When I was a little boy my dad had a SW tank that I'm guessing, from memory, was about 75 gallons or so. Long story short, around 1986 my older brother ( he was 5 at the time) crashed the tank by filling it with toilet paper and magazines while everyone else was sleeping. Horrible, horrible day from what I remember.

Anyway, these days my dad is getting really ill and has to miss a lot of work due to surgeries and the like. My mom asked for some advice on helping her get him into a hobby instead of just watching TV on the days where he can't work. I suggested that I get him an aquarium because he has always wanted one since his old one crashed.

So, for father's day, my siblings and I are pooling our funds and getting my dad a FOWLR tank.

Here is what I'm planning:

A 12 Gallon tank ( Eclipse System 12 Aquarium ) with a package from tampa bay saltwater. 2 or 3 small fish.

That being said, I'd like suggestions on three things:

#1. The setup itself. As I said before, my dad feels crummy a lot and I want to get him a setup that will be relatively easy to maintain. He LOVES to tinker with things and he is well enough to handle normal maintenance.

#2 Which fish to put in there. Again, easy to care for, but enjoyable to observe.

#3 I'm making a list of supplies to stock him up on so he won't have to go to the LFS for a few months.

Good idea I agree with the clowns my favorite fish after clowns .I have a diamond gobie I can sit and watch him turn over the sand all day long. Remember when you get sand get small grain. Hope it works out for you and your dad.

The smaller the tank, the more difficult it will be to maintain. How about a 29 gallon BioCube or something like that instead? Something larger will be easier to take care of, and you can put more fish in it.

A very noble idea.

I agree with Biff.Can you guys pool together and go with something a little bigger which would make it easier to maintain.

Thank you all, great ideas. I'll price some larger tanks and see if it's possible. That 12 gallon is on sale for $84 though *pout*

+1 super, I love my tank but I probably could have gotten started much cheaper if I had looked there first

Ok, I ordered everything this past weekend from Fosters & Smith and it should be at my doorstep tomorrow!! I'll post pics as I set-up.

One quick question, what kind of flow should you have in a little 12 gallon? A guy at the LFS said in a tank that small the return from the filter is enough flow. Surely that's not right...

If you're only doing a FOWLR tank then the power head it comes with should be enough. I have that same tank only with the upgraded lighting and I run it with no problems.

Just got everything in today. Buying live rock tomorrow and kicking off the cycle.

For now, a boring teaser pic:

4628808380_b232caab14_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4628808380_b232caab14_o.jpg

Back