40 Gallon Breeder SUMP Project

wakerider017

Reefing newb
I just got a brand new 40 gallon breeder that I intend to make into a sump.

I have a preliminary plan that I'd like to run by you guys before I do any building.

Some things I had in mind prior to building the system: (Not saying they are right, but these are my thinkings and assumptions.)

- I have an external pump, so it has to go on one of the ends. (No middle section return pump. This means I will have an inline system which I feel is much more simple anyway.)
- I will be using glass baffles instead of acrylic. I feel 1/4" glass for baffles is the best choice possible.
- I felt 1.5" bubble trap 'channels' would allow more flow that the more commonly used 1" channels.
- I maximized water volume in the sump with tall 10" baffles (yes my skimmer will fit even on a stand) while still allowing +/- 4" of space (which equates to over 10 gallons) in case of a sump overflow/siphon accident
- The overall dimensions of the tank in the model may look funny. They are they inside dimensions, and are what really matters ;)
- The return pump section will be drilled to accommodate an Iwaki MD55RLT External Pump

The system from left to right: (Overflow/Skimmer Area > Refugium > Return Pump Area)

screenshot20111227at808.png

Opinions? How does everything look. (flow, water height, etc.)

About the possibility of pump going out or power failure which results in back siphon:

I have a 120 gallon tank. It is 60" x 18". I figure if the return nozzles are 2" below the water line (Is this a good place for them??) then the dimension of water to be siphoned would be 60"x18"x2" = 2160 cubic inches = 9.35064935 US gallons

Depending on the water level in my sump, (10 inches being the minimum for it to clear the lowest baffle, & 13 inches being the maximum before it starts cascading over the tallest baffle) I will have about X amount of spare space:

2795 (cubic inches) = 12.0995671 US gallons @ 10" of water in sump
2174 (cubic inches) = 9.41125541 US gallons @ 11" of water in sump
1553 (cubic inches) = 6.72294372 US gallons @ 12" of water in sump

Looks dangerously close with 11" of water!!!!!

I was also thinking about drilling an overflow hole (much like that seen on a bathtub or bathroom sink) in the tank and piping it to a nearby drain. (Very convenient to have a drain next to the system).

Back