Adding a Sump to my existing tank...HELP!

Big K

Reefing newb
OK, so I have had a 55 tank for a while and have been slowly building up to adding a sump tank to it. I built a platform in my water production area of my basement under my office. I ran the lines for the overflow and return down to a 40 ga. tank which I put baffles in.

I have a Skimmer on order (Marineland Pro 100) and have 10 lbs. of dry rock rubble. The pump is a 1000 GPH and the overflow is 600 GPH with a height of around 10'.

So far:

So.. my questions:

First, does anything jump out as an issue? No water in it yet so I can fix almost anything.

Second, having dry rock seeded with live rock will keep my system from cycling right? Will I need to seed it directly in the rubble or will the flow from the DT with LR in it suffice?

What about "Miracle Mud"? Would that cause a cycle? Would you recommend such a product in the refugium or just live sand?

I know there's more I can't think of right now, but this should be good to start with!

Are you going to use filter sock ??? Where are you going to put all the rubble rock ??? are al lthe baffles the same length ???? Usually the return section is a little lower. Is it going to be just strictly skimmer or refugium ??

Traditionally, the overflow line would be a larger diameter pipe than the return line.
This naturally gives the overflow line greater capacity than the return line to avoid the situation where the returning water overwhelms the overflow.
But this can be remedied by using diverters and ball valves on the return line like how you have it set up.

Larger overflow lines also prevent snail clogging incidents. Again, this can be remedied by making sure your overflow section in the aquarium is well protected from intrusions.

Will your skimmer be in-sump? If so, which chamber is it going?

There is no need to seed the sump with live rock. Bacteria from the display tank will get into the sump's rubble and naturally colonize the rocks.
There would be no cycling in a traditional sense since you are not spiking your ammonia with the addition of the new dry rock.

Are you going to use filter sock ???

I don't know. Should I?

Where are you going to put all the rubble rock ???

First chamber to the left.

are al lthe baffles the same length ???? Usually the return section is a little lower.

Huh, NOW you tell me! lol They are all the same length. What problems might that cause?

Is it going to be just strictly skimmer or refugium ??

Refugium in the center chamber. I have a light for the algae over the tank.

Traditionally, the overflow line would be a larger diameter pipe than the return line.
This naturally gives the overflow line greater capacity than the return line to avoid the situation where the returning water overwhelms the overflow.
But this can be remedied by using diverters and ball valves on the return line like how you have it set up.

OK, that would explain the reducer I had to put in the overflow fitting. No way of getting it out now! lol I'll just manage it with the valve.

Larger overflow lines also prevent snail clogging incidents. Again, this can be remedied by making sure your overflow section in the aquarium is well protected from intrusions.

Like how?

Will your skimmer be in-sump? If so, which chamber is it going?

First chamber. Alongside the rubble.

There is no need to seed the sump with live rock. Bacteria from the display tank will get into the sump's rubble and naturally colonize the rocks.
There would be no cycling in a traditional sense since you are not spiking your ammonia with the addition of the new dry rock.

Awesome! I thought as much. :^:

Would the Miracle Mud cycle it though?

Thanks guys!

For ease of cleaning, I prefer no sand in the sump, but that's personal preference. How long has your display tank been running? As long as you aren't cycling new rock, you should be fine as far as that's concerned. I don't know much about Miracle Mud other than you have to replace it occasionally.

I would also prefer bare bottom in the refugium. It makes cleaning up so much easier. That way you can clearly see whatever you need to siphon out.

Chichi, I bought it last September as a complete setup from a guy who'd had it running for over a year. It's pretty darn stable, I've never seen any Nitrates,Nitrites, or Ammonia in my weekly testing.

Thanks, Ladies. That helps a lot. Erin, I will probably not use the Mud then. Just sand.

Noob, what about the macro algae though. Won't it need somewhere to be planted? How often does it need cleaning? What does that entail exactly?

I just had a ball of cheato in my sump wedged in between two baffles. The water had to go through it. I guess it depends on what you want for macro algae. Bare bottom for the win. So much easier to keep clean

In my refugium I have fern caulerpa, chaeto, mangroves, caulerpa prolifera, and I'm about to get grape caulerpa. You don't really need sand for any of these plants. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a macro algae that needs sand. For example, chaeto is just a ball of stuff so you can just let it free float. And then for many other plants such as caulerpa you can let them free float or use a fishing line to loosely tie them to a piece of live rock. In regards to the cleaning, I siphon out the crap every few months (it would be better if it's more often) because all the detritus is collected in the bottom/sump area. The crap goes in through the overflow and it just stays in your sump, which is why you would have to siphon out the trash every once in a while.

Like how?
It depends on your overflow setup.
You can use plastic screens to cover the overflow box, or use drain guards on the overflow pipe itself just to throw out a couple of ideas.

Also, what do you plan to do with the second tee connection on the return line? (the one pointing to the right that seems to go nowhere).

Also, what do you plan to do with the second tee connection on the return line? (the one pointing to the right that seems to go nowhere).

Ok....so I've been away a while but now I'm back!

The tee going to the right is for a quick change system. It will go to a drain and new water will be added via a line in the left chamber.

Back