Adding a sump?

Jschoon

Reefing newb
First, let me say that you all are a great world of knowledge. I have been reading almost non-stop for a few days now. You have some awesome tanks, vast experience and and some really cool pictures.:Cheers:

Now, after doing some reading and research I think I want to add a sump/refug to my 35 gal FOWLR. I have limitted space. But I have an old 10 gal goldfish tank that I was thinking I could use. I do not want to have to drill holes so I am looking for some kind of siphon type of system.

Please feel free to offer your suggestions for how to accomplish this. I am sure great ideas will be plentiful. My only real big concern is avoiding water on my wife's carpet.:pissed: That would be real bad for the future of my hobby... Know what I mean???

Thanks,
Joe

Look for an overflow box. They hang on the back and use a U-Tube to syphon the water over the side of the tank.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes
I cant personally recomend this one, never tried it but seems like a good price.

Then match a return pump to the size of the overflow. Make sure that the GPH match pretty closley. If the velocity through the U-Tube is too slow, it can break the syphon by air bubbles collect in the U-Tube.

I am also getting a sump going for the first time. I have to get one made cause my cabinet is too narrow. I bought a pump, real nice price, thanks to project5K. I also bought a Eheim water system instal kit and an Eshopps overflow box, pf 300, on sale at Dr. Foster & Smith, $37. The pump was $35, here:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

There's a lot of helpful people here, I spoke at lenght with Project5K at home and he helped me get a much better understanding of it all. I'm sure he'll poke his head in here sooner or later! Good Luck!

I actually like the Lifereef Filter Systems overflow boxes and sumps(if you have the money to spare). They are very good quality. I just haven't gotten around to saving up for one though. A regular small tank has its limitations when used as a sump because you don't have outlets for plumbing. Also you may have issue with size of sump that fits in your stand. Lifereef has compact sumps and can custom build one for you. The price on their sumps are quite high, but if you consider that it includes their protein skimmer which is rated for 250 gallons then it's not that expensive. When I buy equipment, I always buy things that I can use with a bigger tank.

Well, their overflow prefilter box is very nice too. I haven't had a need to test the auto restart design yet, but it is an auto restarting siphon tube design.

nothing wrong with a 10gal sump/fuge, i ran one for a while on my 75 till i decided to build a bigger one.. so... what questions do you have?

I am most concerned with how to design and how to make it as leak proof as possible. My goals are that it be as benficial as possible for the size and that it not ruin my wife's living room carpet. Small order I know...

I also do not want to have to cut holes into my 35 gal so some type of siphon system is what I am looking for. A few have been suggested that I am looking into.

The easiest way to make sure that it doesnt leak or flood is pray:mrgreen:j/k

On the return line, drill a small hole,1/8 inch or so, right at the water line. That way if the power goes out, it will break the syphon and prevent water from overflowing the sump.

Also, fill everything up with water when the power is off. then turn the power on and let it run for half an hour or so. Make a mark on the return section of the sump. This is the full line. If it is there or under, the sump wont overflow if the power goes out. With that, you just have to worry about the syphon in the U-tube breaking somehow. That can be helped by making sure that you have adequate flow velocity going through it. If the water is too slow, air bubbles can collect and bbreak the syphon.

Brian

i agree 100% bj +1 sir.

the one drawback to doing it that way is if your return pump section is too small and runs dry before the overflow starts bringing water back down the hill.

Thanks, one more thing I just thought of. The design and materials. I have a glass 10g tank and I have several small pieces of plexi-glass (1/4 or smaller if I recall). can I combine the two? How large should I make the different areas? I am not sure if I will have a skimmer due to size costraints of my stand.

Oh, and thanks to all for your suggestions and help thus far. Awesome site with awesomer folk...

Joe

well, i would suggest having a skimmer, even if its a HOB unit that hangs on the side of the 10gal sump, thats what i did when i started out...

if you cant get it on the sump, then put it on the tank, either way, i think its better to have one than not.

Back