Adding live rock...........

jahdisp25

Reefing newb
When I set up my tank I added approx. 10 pounds of LR, well the tank is cycling now and when my levels zero out I plan to add my intitial fish.

My question is, is it ok to add additional live rock after adding my fish, or should I just add it before adding my fish? Or would I be better off adding base rock instead of live rock?

your tank is what, about a month old? and youve got 10lbs in a 30 galon tank, i'd put more live rock in there, watch for a second cycle, and then when thats done, then start adding fish, personally, i wouldnt add fish till your up to 1lb of rock per gallon, heck at least .75 lb's per gallon...

ideal would be about 1.5 lb's per gallon... so, your a bit short in the filtering department....

project is right,
the other option is to pay a premium for fully cured rock and then you dont really need to worry about a cycle happening again..

If you add fish first, then rock, you run the risk of re-starting the cycle and harming the fish. So it's better to get all the rock in you can before you add any animals. If you have to add some more later on, just add it a little bit at a time to minimize starting a new cycle.

Back