Aiptasia help..

ironnie7i

Reefing newb
So I have a few pieces of my Caribbean LR with Aiptasia. I have about 6 to 8 Aiptasia still pretty small. I bought 4 Atlantic Peppermint Shrimp that apparently eat Aiptasia.

How long till I start seeing my Aiptasia disappear? I know it takes a while because it depends on the shrimp and what not but I want to know what some people have experienced themselves.

I've tried so many peppermint shrimps and none ever ate them.They are generally a hit or miss,maybe my aips were just to big.I really can't tell how long it will take.They usually do their hunting during the night.

Good luck in the fight.I literally had hundreds,if not thousands at one time.

If they are largish aiptaisia's the peps won't be able to tackle them. Joe's juice is the best thing I have found to dispatch of them.

The original poster doesn't have enough aips to justify the cost of berghias.They are a hit or miss as well.

Try Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice if the peppermints don't work as Ryan suggested.

Berghias will work,but it take a while to get enough babies in the tank to actually see any progress.I would also a copperband butterfly,but you tank is to small.
In your case,the Aiptasia - X is the best choice.

sweet thanks guys. I guess I'll have to order some online. And i'll keep an eye on the pepperment shrimp. It might be too early since I put them in yesterday. What I did see them doing was eating my small feather dusters that were all over my LR. lol you should of seen me screaming at them to stop it!!!

sweet thanks guys. I guess I'll have to order some online. And i'll keep an eye on the pepperment shrimp. It might be too early since I put them in yesterday. What I did see them doing was eating my small feather dusters that were all over my LR. lol you should of seen me screaming at them to stop it!!!

Should have gotten us a video of that.:mrgreen:

I went to the LFS after I got some new LR and had seen about 6 or so aiptasia pop up. I asked for a peppermint shrimp to get rid of some aiptasia I had. The guy is really cool and its a small shop. He didn't pull the shrimp out of the peppermint shrimp tank, he went hunting somewhere I wasn't paying much attention. The shrimp that he brought me was small and didn't have distinguished red stripes like the others... He was mostly clear with maybe some feint red stripes (Now it might just be because hes young idk). Anyways, within about a week I noticed all the heads were ate off the aiptasia and just the stems were left! =D

Well guys, I guess I was wrong!! This morning I turned on the lights and ALL the Aiptasia was gone!!! along with the small feather dusters on the LR :shock:

I guess its ok as long as the Aiptasia is all gone. Now, what would the peppermint shrimp eat now that the aiptasia is all gone? I hope they dont eat like my polyps or anything else.

My Stunner chalice feeds at night.... every time I feed it I have to battle my peppermint shrimp and hermits the WHOLE time b/c they just come out of the rocks to take the brine shrimp off my chalice =(

I think I need a backup plan or something to feed the critters first then I might have better luck keeping them off my coral!

this is your solution for control aiptasia

ButterflyCopperband1.jpg
[SIZE=-2]Identification: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]The Copperband Butterflyfish, also known as the Beaked Butterflyfish, Beaked Coralfish, or Orange Stripe Butterfly, has a long, narrow nose and mouth used for hunting into crevices and holes for food. Adorned with yellow-orange vertical bands and black edging, for protection it has a false eyespot on the rear of its dorsal fin.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Minimum tank size:[/SIZE][SIZE=-2] 75 Gallon
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Feeding and diet: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to get to start feeding. Offer a varied diet including crustacean flesh, mysid shrimp and frozen preparations.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Reef Compatibility: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]As a rule it is generally reef safe, but nothing is 100%. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium. Most individuals can be kept in a reef tank with most soft corals and small-polyped stony corals, although some may nip at shrimp and fan worms.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Level of Care: [/SIZE][SIZE=-2]Moderate[/SIZE]

Back