anemones

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
i know you need some powerful light in order to keep anemones... but i had a question

In my 30 gal (36''X12''X17'') i have 192watt PC's, am i going to be able to keep any anemones. if so which kinds

stick with bubble tip anenome like bobby said easy to take care of, i also have a rock/flower anenome there easy also.

Just remember that with less light,the more you need to feed the anemone.
I have 192 watts of PC light over my 30 and used to keep a small anemone in it.I thought it was a BTA but turned out to be a rock anemone.
I put it in my 55 with more light and its went back into the rock work.It seems to be doing great back there,so I'm going to let it stay.

I still think it'd be risky keeping a BTA under that amount of light.

6 watts per gallon will work keep em towards top.

You can't keep anemones near the top, they'll move to where they want to be... which in many peoples' experience seems to be the powerhead intake. I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

I'm by no means a anemone expert but even the easiest anemones need intense lights and pristine water.Long term success,I would have to agree with Biff.

Your system should be well sesoned and have a mature bacteria bed. at least 6 to 12 months before adding an anemone. you can add one right away and be successful, however, the more mature your system is the better chance of success with an anemone you will have. good luck.

I agree with the amount of time you need to keep an anemone. I added my BTA after about 8 months and it has split two times, into several pieces. Biff is right, you cannot place them where you want. I tried that several times and they just move wherever they want. I do respectfully disagree with Biff about the amount of light BTA's need. I have had my BTA under about 5 watts per gallon for over a year. I have a long tenticle anemone in my work tank, who stays at the bottom of the tank, that has been living in about 3.4 watts per gallon. IMHO it is not so much the light as the water quality and amount of food it can filter feed. Up to you. I can only speak from my weird experience. I have pics of my BTA on a different thread if you would like to look.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

thanks for the info everyone, im not 100% sure if i get one, probably wont be until close to after my tank has been at least 8 months matured. Dr. Marco, i would love to see the pics, which thread? i tried to find it on the photo album, but the photo albums are down
:bounce:

It is on a thread that is listed as "new pics and tiny addition" - i think. Go about halfway down the post and you will find links to my recently posted pics. You can see it next to my Koran and Blue Ring angelfish. FYI my tank went thru a heat increase that bleached out the anemone and it turned into that bluish-green color. It used to be a rose BTA, now it is a Blue BTA - I would not recommend that, luckily, it survived.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

David
Yep,I still got it.Its in my 55gal with Nova Extreme T-5s,432 watts.
Its doing great in there and growing good.

glass anemonies/aptasia are really easy to take care of. if you get lucky you can get one that will hitchhike on some live rock. You could totally keep them in that light and they are practially free! hahaha ok so i really had to say that one. nobody else had yet so i had to do it :)

Back