Anyone had their house tented for termites before?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
I'm REALLY pissed about this, just found termite droppings all around my house, so it looks like I'm gonna have to tent. My question is, what the flippin heck is this gonna do to my tanks? Kill everything? arrgh!

That's what the guy just told me, sounds like it has to be tented because it sounds like they're the drywood species, which are difficult to treat locally.

3 tanks, man... 100 gal fresh, the 110 reef, and the 55 FOWLR, all in the dining room. I guess I'll find out exactly what when the inspector comes.

might be worth trying to get some vapor barrier plastic to seal up tight as you can unless you have heat issues. How long is this tent thing supposed to last? bum deal man. Glad there is none of those turds in AK

Yeah the tent is supposed to last 3 days with the poison, basically what I'm gonna have to do is break down the 110 and merge the animals from the 55, try to sell the clown trigger from the 55 {wah! I love him} and I;m going to get rid of the fresh altogether. Man way more hassle than its worth. I sure hope my SPS can handle all this moving.

Yeah the tent is supposed to last 3 days with the poison, basically what I'm gonna have to do is break down the 110 and merge the animals from the 55, try to sell the clown trigger from the 55 {wah! I love him} and I;m going to get rid of the fresh altogether. Man way more hassle than its worth. I sure hope my SPS can handle all this moving.

that sucks man sorry about that. On the other hand I would love to take the trigger of your hands I been wanting one of those so bad is he the only fish in the 55? There is no way to seal up the tops of the tanks? or is it too hot there

if he were to seal them up tight there would be no oxygen exchange and all the fish and corals will die, atleast instead of selling them see if the LFS will hold them for you in there tanks

I've read several posts on other forums about people who put a small mini-tent over their tank (wood, plastic & duct tape), ran a hose well outside the house to a powerful air pump that put positive airflow into the tank's mini-tent. They conferred with the exterminators on what they were doing.

This has got to be easier than breaking down your tanks.

I've read several posts on other forums about people who put a small mini-tent over their tank (wood, plastic & duct tape), ran a hose well outside the house to a powerful air pump that put positive airflow into the tank's mini-tent. They conferred with the exterminators on what they were doing.

This has got to be easier than breaking down your tanks.

That'd be the way to go.And it dont cost that much to rent a fan that would do the job.

I have seen my friend's fish store fish sit before! That would be a good bet.

That is a bummer that you have to tent. I treated my house 2 years ago (we had termites "nearby" and in a dead stump next to my house, they hadn't hit the actual structure just yet, but I wasn't going to let them try). They drilled holes all around my house and treated them that way. It wasn't cheap though, my heart goes out to your pocketbook.

Yeah, their initial estimate is $2500. Big time ouch, because we're also trying to sell our house and move to a smaller place. In todays housing market, this is really gonna bite. I decided I'm gonna tear down my 55g, trade the clown trigger to the LFS for some dry goods and move the bicolor angel and coral beauty into the 110. Also, I'm gonna keep the ribbon eel, I think he's peaceful enough for the reef tank, we'll see how it goes I guess. I'm really gonna miss the trigger, though, he has the best personality next to the maroon clown.

What else can you do? There's lots of industries that have the opportunity to price gouge...like oil and electricity for example.

Find out from your pest control company what chemical they are going to use, then run it past askthebugman.com. He might not know if what they're planning to use is safe for your tank, but he will DEFINITELY know if the pest control company is taking the right approach (I hold a qualified applicator license from the State of California Department of Pesticide Regulation, am anti-pesticide, and Richard is my guru).

Back