Black lava rock in a saltwater aquarium?

FishAndAquatics

Reefing newb
Hello! I'm sorta new to reefing and I've had a saltwater tank for a year now. But I want to switch out the live rock for some black lava rock. Do you have any suggestions? If black lava rock isn't good is there any other black are dark colored large rocks I could use in a saltwater tank? I want it to look for like this. Thank you for the help! :)
dscn2337-jpg.23700

Attachments

• DSCN2337.jpg
    DSCN2337.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 10,963
i dont know if there is s problem using lava rock but it does look nice. however its not going to stay that way. eventually coraline algae is going to grow all over and sediment is going to fill up a lot of the little holes as well as regular algae growing on it. eventually you are going to lose a lot of that black look. if you want to check for safety without losing your tank then put a couple pieces in hospital tank with a piece of coral and a chromis or a damsel. do reg water changes and test ALL your parameters every couple days to see if anything is going into suspension. you should be able to tell by the behavior of the animals if they dont like something in the water.

Yes, I read something saying that you shouldn't use it in a salt water setup. It will cause ph drop. I'll see if I can find it.

There is no significant problem with lava rock, you just need to be aware of their properties compared to traditional aragonite type rocks.

Most lava rock has very minimal limestone (if any) due to how they were created.
And in most cases they are completely inert. Now this may be good or bad depending on your situation.

In reef tanks, limestone has the tendency to dissolve and release calcium, carbonates and bicarbonates when the water's pH goes below a certain threshold (usually around 8.0-8.4).
So if you have a large volume of limestone in your reef tank, you have a passive buffer for your pH, at the cost of gradually dissolving rock (nominal water pH will alleviate this). Calcium reactors take this concept to the active end of the spectrum.

There are also so many types of lava rock, depending on the region where they came from and what type of magma activity created them.
Some lava rock are so dense and smooth that they provide inefficient surface for bacterial colonization, and they are relatively heavy too.
There are some that are very porous and lightweight which makes them good substitutes for live rock for bacterial colonization, minus the buffering tendencies.

Lava rock, if properly prepared, does not create pH problems.
However, they also do not alleviate pH problems like limestone/aragonite does.

So I guess in some sense, you can say that "removal of a solution indeed creates a problem?" :)

I would think that there might be a silicate issue from the use of lava rock, but I could be wrong. I need to be at my shop computer to look it up.

Back