black worm and white snowflake-like critters?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
2 new critters appeared in my tank today. The first are tiny white snowflake shapped things on the underside of my montipora - I think they have too many arms to be some sort of starfish. They are pure white and lacy looking. They do not have tubes and don't appear to have tentacles. My coworker with reef experience has never seen them before but things they look more plant-like than critter-like. I have no idea!

The second was a thin black worm about 1/3" in length that I saw climbing on my live rock. It was jet black with maybe a little red on it, moved really fast, and was able to lift its head off the rock to look around. I tried to put another rock in front of it to crawl on, but it stayed still, then I tried to remove it with tweezers and it took off into teh rock before I could get it. It doesn't appear to have any bristles or antannae or anything on it, so I don't think its a bristleworm or nudibranch.

I tried to get pics of both things but my camera phone wasn't able to focus on them. Any ideas?

Bad news - after doing some googling, the snowflake-like critters are definitely montipora-eating nudibranches. This explains why my monti has been looking worse and is bleaching around the edges (which is where I'm seeing the nudibranches). Treatment is difficult and requires quarantine for about 3 months to make sure the nudibrach and its eggs are gone from the DT. Has anyone treated for this before? I've found some info online that suggests potassium permanganate can be effective at getting rid of both the adults and egg colonys. I also have no idea what to do for lighting while the coral is in quarantine. I picked up this light JBJ NANO Glo 4 LED Refugium Light - AquaCave.com for my refugium, do you think it would provide enough light for the monti in a 10g for a few months?

Back