Bluespotted Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti)

Savannah

Reefing newb
BlueSpotJawfish8.jpg

I am planning on trading in my pink spotted goby today. I a saw this Bluespotted jawfish at one of the local fish stores. He said both of them have been at the store for a week now and are doing great. I have seen them on liveaquaria.com for $109 and my LFS Midwest Coral Farms is selling them for $69 this weekend. Dana who lives by me really likes this store.

I have a 28 gal with live rock and Caribbean direct live sand. I don't know if this is mixed enough for them to create their burros do you guys have any recommendations for larger sand rocks...."crushed coral?" In my tank I have snails, hermits, 1 fireshirmp, 1 dartfish purple fire fish. If I get the jawfish.... what possible additional fish do you have I can get... I dont want to overload my system.

Future possible combo... Dartfish, jawfish, x2 clown fish
Dartfish, jawfish, tail spotted blenny, royal gramma
or any other recommendations?

I like a fellow reefer have always loved the Green Mandarin Dragonet but unless they eat frozen they need to be in a larger system with plenty of pods. I have read that ORA have tank raised Mandarins that will eat frozen... but my LFS says they sell for $50 ($13 for wild caught) which I would gladly pay if I knew it would be happy in my system and live a healthy life. Has anyone had experience with ORA Mandarin Dragonets... do they really eat the frozen food they claim?

Sorry for the ramble I'm just trying to figure out where my tank is going to go. Thank you :D

I have a Blue Spotted in my tank. He is super cool, and actually really tame for a Jaw fish. They are prone to jump out of tanks so make sure you have a tight fiting lid or screen on yours. For some reason, mine rolls over on his back like a dog wanting his tummy scratched every time I put my hand near him. Really cool little fish.

I think the firefish, jawfish and clowns would be a good combo.
Remember the basic stocking rule is one small fish for every ten gallons.

What do you guys think about my substrate issue.... Do you think my caribbean direct live sand is mixed particles enough.... I see little shells and such in it.... or do I have to get bigger ruble for this guy? If so... do I just get crushed coral?

Your stock list looks fine. Your substrate is fine as well. Mine will grab frags, and even smaller chalices and drag them into his home. I think he is trying to decorate the inside. No more HG T.V. for him I tell ya.

Thats awesome! Do you think the price is right as well? $69? I will have to drive a little so I just want to make sure I am making the right choice? And on a side note... since they can be aggressive... when I remove my pink spotted goby today...do you think adding three fish will crash the system? (blue spotted, and two clowns)? Is it okay just to get the blue spotted for now... and add the clowns later? I just dont want this jawfish to think he is king of the tank like my goby does now.

From what I have seen, that is a great price. I don't see any issues with adding him now, and clowns later. The clowns can defend themselves if need be, they are a semi aggressive fish anyway. But because the Jawfish lives in the substrate, and the clowns in the open water, I don't think there will be any issues about territory.

Back