Buying Fiji Rock?

little_tuna

Reefing newb
Found a guy on craigslist selling fiji rock straight from Fiji for 3.99 / lb. This will be my first time with live rock so is their anything i need to look for? And how do i introduce it to my tank? Can it be out of water??

What size rocks should i get?

The longer its out of water, the more will die off. And you just put it strait into the tank. I would get a large variety of sizes, so you have more to work with when aqauscaping.

When you do get the rock, make sure that it isnt covered in pests. I wouldnt buy rock that is covered in pest algae or nems, like aiptasia

Looks good. Can you cycle it in a seperate tank? You never know what he did with the rock, but it might be a good idea to save you water from a few water changes and place this stuff in a trash can filled with your water and a pump to see it and test the water.

QT that rock in your old water and a heater, then test the water for copper, then let it sit and see what comes out of it. Thats good you have that extra tank, its perfect.

We get "live" rock in at the store, its dead, just like little fish said. Thats why you cant put it in your tank right away without checking it, and running your own cycle on the rock. We gave it 30 days, then moved it into the tank for people to buy. Its packed in dark plastic bags with newspaper on it to keep it moist, smells like hells socks...really bad. You wont believe the crap that comes out of the rock...

I personally think you are better of buying dry base rock. Its cheaper, and then get a piece that is still alive to cycle your tank. Plus it will be cheaper that way.

Marcorocks.com is a good place to get dry rock.

Yeah I was reading about "dead" rock and thats why i was questioning his because they look dry in the pics but he said they all in a tank with water so im not sure if he`s cycled them or not.

If its actually alive, then its a great deal, but if its not, then its not worth it IMO. If he let it dry out and then just put it in some saltwater its probably not live, just wet.

ask him if he let it dry out at all. If so did he recycle rock. If its in a tank with fish in it, then its live, but if its just been sitting in water you need to make sure it didnt dry out first. Also, if its just been sitting in water for a few months with nothing to feed the bacteria, then its most dead as well.

So I stopped by my lfs today to pick up the light I ordered and I asked them about the Fiji rock the guy was selling on craigslist "straight from Fiji". And they told me what he is doing is illegal. That you havent been able to pull rocks out of Fiji for years now

Yeah my lfs is going to give me a deal on some nice purple man made rock sence ive bought so much stuff from them. Its normally 10.99/lb there and at the other stores but im going to get it for 7.99/lb

Back