Calculating Power Consumption

JAnderson1

Reefing newb
Hello All,

Can someone please help me figure out my power consumption?

Here is the current electricity using equipment I am using and their wattage draw according to each's "tech specs".

Gyre XF-130 8-35watts runs 24/7

Kessil 360w x2 180watts (90w ea) slow ramp up and down from 8am-10pm peaks at noon

Kessil Controller 1watt. Once set I never really touch it

Reef Octopus 110int 9watts runs 24/7

Mag Drive 3 Pump 49watts runs 24/7

Marineland VisiTherm Heater 200watts runs 24/7

Finnex Fuge light 5watts runs about 6-8 hours a day

So can someone help me figure this out? How many watts of power do I use a day? Thanks for all your help. Sorry I'm electrically challenged!

Justin

you can buy a gadget called a kill-a-watt. you plug your stuff in and it tells you exactly how much you are using. you can program in the cost of your electricity and everything. plug your stuff into a power bar. plug that into the kill-a-watt which goes into the wall. i bought mine out of the states and it was about 40$ shipping and handling in. very handy item.

Last edited:
you can buy a gadget called a kill-a-watt. you plug your stuff in and it tells you exactly how much you are using. you can program in the cost of your electricity and everything. plug your stuff into a power bar. plug that into the kill-a-watt which goes into the wall. i bought mine out of the states and it was about 40$ shipping and handling in. very handy item.

Funny you should mention that @monique. I just bought one on Sunday! Thanks for the response though. I got one for $26

right on. you are really going to like it. in for a shock when you see just how much power you use. hope you dont pay 24 cents a watt like i do. 150$ a month for me

right on. you are really going to like it. in for a shock when you see just how much power you use. hope you dont pay 24 cents a watt like i do. 150$ a month for me
Good lord!!! That's expensive!! @monique!! The kill a watt says I run about 3kwh a day and my rate varies between 11-15cents per kWh for my for me it costs about $10-$14 a month just for my tank!

you lucky bastard. i live in ontario, canada and i have to buy my power from ontario hydro. 35$ for the meter on your house, 14 cents a watt and shipping charges for the hydro. the shipping costs more then the hydro i use. works out to 25 cent a watt. i run a 265 gal reef tank. lots of light and lots of circulation. on top of that the government just gave permission for a 4% rate increase. oh yay. i actually use about 60$ a month. the rest is all bullshit charges that you cant get away from

Last edited:
you lucky bastard. i live in ontario, canada and i have to buy my power from ontario hydro. 35$ for the meter on your house, 14 cents a watt and shipping charges for the hydro. the shipping costs more then the hydro i use. works out to 25 cent a watt. i run a 265 gal reef tank. lots of light and lots of circulation. on top of that the government just gave permission for a 4% rate increase. oh yay. i actually use about 60$ a month. the rest is all bullshit charges that you cant get away from
Hahahaha:ROFLMAO: sorry to hear that @monique that really sucks! At least u have free healthcare right?

well its not exactly free. one% of our income tax is for health care. its hidden so you dont see it so people forget but yes we do have good health care. how big is your tank. i use 8 watts a day just on lights

well its not exactly free. one% of our income tax is for health care. its hidden so you dont see it so people forget but yes we do have good health care. how big is your tank. i use 8 watts a day just on lights
Right now I have a 46 gallon bowfront but I'm about to upgrade to an 75 gallon soon. Trying to get all on my stuff together. I ordered a custom acrylic sump that should be in soon. I'm pretty excited about it!

Back