Canister filters?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I've been told very recently that my little sump/fuge I'm building would be much cheaper, easier and more effective in the long run if I just got a canister filter. Are they a good idea for tanks 55 gallons or less?

Catherine

if you are willing to do the maintence i think it would work, maintence is goint to be the #1 key cuz if not you will get nitrate spikes cuz canisters build nitrates

yea, i think that they would be fine if your willing to do the work it takes to keep one in good shape, cleanings and new media all the time, the remora or rena or whatever the x3 thing that i took off my tank when i built my sump cost me right at $100 to fill up, and that was every month, with weekly hand cleanings... my sump, costs me nothing, no media, and only a basic syphoning when i see gunk in the bottom.. thats it.. not to mention that i'm super frikn lazy when it comes to tank maintainence, so anything i can do to make my work easier, i'm all for...

Hands down agree with everyone so far. I've had to deal with this in my father's tank. Not only does it require frequent cleaning, but it was difficult. They're for freshwater. Saltwater, in theory, it could work...but I really don't think it could be worth it. I bet it would probably work really well in a FOWL tank.

I would like to see some scientific test results on canister filters. I don't know if I buy all the bad publicity on them.

I have one under my Red Sea Max to run water through my chiller and it has media in it which hasn't been changed in over 6 months (in fact over a year) and my water quality is great. :shock: I know everyone says that they are bad, but where's the data?

Just wait for your tank to crash because the media in the canister filter can only hold so much, its like a sponge once it fills up with water it starts to dump it back out. Its only a matter of time.

I used one many years ago and when I came home one day to a black tank and everything dead ummmm that was my proof enough for me. Even though I'm not a scientist :)

Back