Cesilies 75g Build

Hey everyone! I haven't been here in a while since I went to the Disney College program for the last month and the month before that was insane so I thought I would send ya all a hello and an update on my tank.

Since I had to leave the tank was put in care of my sister.. well... it was okay but I ended up losing quite a bit of fish- black damsel, Gill, blue damsel, nemo, and 3 chromis. When I came home I had a school of 4 chromis and a new baby black clown (Omen the III). My corals don't look good at all and my whole tank has lost its color :( I had gotten a hairy mushroom that was the size of a dinner plate from a LFS here that was going to throw him away and he is just rotting away now :( my mushrooms that I did have seem to have disappeared and kona doesn't want to eat much :( I've been home less than a week and I've been trying to get everything under control-however my siblings decided to redo everything underneath my tank and move around all my suppiles to who knows where. They haven't been home for me to ask them and I have no $ to go buy new stuff :(

annnnd all the coraline I had growing is gone. dead. brown. :( my tank was so pretty and now its just dead looking.

I'm hoping it will start to look better once I figure out what the problem is with it.

Cotton-i think the eel would be fine :) I have kona in with fish, crabs, and snails and he doesn't eat them. he's pretty docile :)

Last edited:
its good to be back home :) the DCP was the biggest joke ever. and OMG there were a TON of awesome fish stores down there with great fish and cheap prices but since I wasn't allowed to have a tank I couldn't buy any.

I couldn't even have a beta fish because our housing said they "cause water damage" :angry:

Well, the tank is no more :( today i was 100% kona was dead. he wasn't breathing and his mouth wasn't open and he was just laying across the sand underneath some of the big rocks... So i started to move everything. Put all my rocks in tubs, drained half the water, took out all the CUC that was left and hten went to get out Kona.

Put him in the net and he MOVED! barely but he moved... so now he's up in QT.... I figured if he was going to die he was going to die in my QT and not suffer in my big tank... he's breathing really hard right now but has his coloration back....which gives me a little hope.

The LFS is having me bring in more water to test to see if anything else showed up during the night that I didn't see/kits didn't pickup. There I will be getting more salt and starting over... once again.

I feel like I'm not good at this anymore :( my sisters tank is doing great and the corals in it are LOVING life and so are her fish.... I'm so frustrated for not being able to find the problem....

since I was cleaning i figured i might as well take out the nasty worms too... I only picked out like 100 of them in a matter of 5 minutes. the tank is INFESTED with them D:

Sorry to hear about everything Sharkie. Don't get too down on yourself, just because nothing has gone wrong with your sisters tank doesn't mean you did anything wrong. There are just soo many things in this hobby that we can't predict or just don't know. Stick with it and you'll get your tank back to where it was.

Last edited:
Here's what I think... You have been gone for quite a while, right? And you just came back to your tank? No matter what your family tells you, you really have no idea what went on with your tank while you were gone. Something could have happened weeks or months ago, which has only just now caused things to go downhill. It may not have been anything that you did at all. You and your tank have been separated for so long, that it's difficult to say what happened, but I bet you weren't even there when it did.

Thanks and I am so sorry about your tank and fish loss!...I've been wanting an eel, and maybe I'll give it a shot in a bit since you seemed to do well with it.

Here's what I think... You have been gone for quite a while, right? And you just came back to your tank? No matter what your family tells you, you really have no idea what went on with your tank while you were gone. Something could have happened weeks or months ago, which has only just now caused things to go downhill. It may not have been anything that you did at all. You and your tank have been separated for so long, that it's difficult to say what happened, but I bet you weren't even there when it did.

+1....I was thinkin' the same thing...

true i have been away a long time... its so sad though :(

anyways yesterday I drained most of the tank and tried to clean off the sand... some of its pretty nasty and I just want it clean. I'm going to be adding water today and re-arranging my rocks... then I'm gonna wait a MONTH before adding anything back in. I'm hoping Kona can deal that long in with my sisters fish so I don't have to worry about anything wrong going on in the tank. Then I'm thinking to get me a tiger tail sea cucumber to keep the sand clean. I have nass. snails but they just don't seem to do much in my tank so I was wondering if that would be a good route to go in addition to my regular CUC?

lookin' up! good luck!

Nass snails only scavenge dead meat... they bury which help turn up the sand bed but they arn't true detrivores

well its been about a week and I've just let the tank sit. I've had no motivation to get it back up and running since I have no funding to do that. the few corals i managed to save have flourished in my sisters tank and are doing great... and I did manage to get a small frag of daisies that i put in there (we'll see how long those last lol). Her tank is really crowded (kona, duke, her maroon clown, 3 damsels) but thankfully everyone is doing okay. Kona has taken to ONLY eating squid. he won't take ANYTHING else.... so he's been costing us a small fortune to feed... he's going through about a package of squid cubes a week :p today I finally started to work on the tank a bit.. I have new water starting, i got the filter fixed (it broke when i tried to move things the other day), and later tonight I should be getting the rocks situated again.... oh the joys of re-doing an entire tank. lol. to be honest I'm kinda losing my love for it :( i sorta miss my 20

to be honest I'm kinda losing my love for it :( i sorta miss my 20

Stick with it and you'll be happy in the end with a bigger tank and it running correctly. Most of us have had some type of major tank problem and have pushed through it. Looking forward to see some pics of it full of water again.

just read through all 8 pages, and im super sorry to hear about the loss. When I went on vacation to colorado for a week and trusted my sister with it, i told her that if the power went out to call me when it came back on, but she never did. so when i got home my skimmer had been off for 3 DAYS! needless to say i lost all my corals except my sponge. i lost my devils armor zoos, xenia, like 5 other colonies of zoos. basically everything except my fish. i also had to take everything out and completely restart. i was also thinking of not restarting, but am super glad i did now.

just keep at it, and you will love it in the near future when you finish and get it going good again!

The skimmer being off wasn't your problem. A tank will be fine without a skimmer. I've had my skimmer off all summer because it produces so much heat in the water.

Some animals will not survive the power being off for more than a few hours or so. It's the lack of water movement and the temperature swings that kill them. I'm betting it was one of those things that caused your stuff to die, not the lack of a skimmer.

In either case, I hate to hear about stuff like that. Power outages should make everyone in this hobby nervous.

power outages make me super nervous, thats how i lost my first batch way back when.... :( stupid stupid electricity never came back on! it sucked.

well there is now water in the tank but the rocks are just all piled in there. I can't believe how many nasty bristleworms are in there.... there are TONS of them STILL. There is no heater running or anything.... its got on the filter and a small PC lighting because I found a lone mushroom that is growing (its super tiny) and i figured i'd give it some lights.... other than that no heater..... all my lvls are okay but i'm waiting ot add anything until i've got my rocks fixed and the lvls at NADA. then I might add a sixline to start... I want to start getting rid of some of the bristles I have. I don't mind a few but there are way too many of them out all day long-which i know isn't super normal.

So this is my startup crew: Sixline, Duke, and Kona. you think those 3 would be okay? I'm not too worried about a cycle starting since its all the same sand and stuff (just rinsed in saltwater, same with the rocks) and i haven't seen any spikes of any kind. I also have to get a whole new clean up crew since mine died off. UGH.

my mom asked what I wanted for my birthday yesterday, i told her I wanted my tank to be fixed, a new filter/sump, a skimmer, and better lighting. :p she just laughed and said i might as well throw in a great white while i'm at it :P

woooohoooo!!! I have a positive update!!

SOOOO we found out what the problem was with my tank... apparently my ph test kit was contaminated or went bad because I got a new one and everything started showing really really low (like 6.8!!) I got me some different buffers and all that jazz and started over.... I arranged the rocks (still not the way i want them but oh well) added the buffers and let it sit for a while...

in the last few weeks everything has been great and my mom decided to go out and buy me some fish for my 21st birthday (last week). I hadn't posted anything becasue I figured they wouldn't live and didn't really want her to buy me anything so soon... but anyways, she brought home 3 chromis, 2 striped damsels, a blue damsel, and a yellow damsel... all maybe 1/2 long? they are TINY! Then a few days later she brought home a baby clownfish for duke (they love each otherlol) and yesterday we stopped in for some more squid for kona and we saw a baby shark egg!! :D

Its SO cute. Its body is no bigger than one of our smilies on here and is really thin like a piece of yarn... the placenta is HUGE and OMG! lol I'm so happy :) she also bought herself a baby niger trigger because she loves them to pieces :) anyways, i shall be updating ya'll on the progress of my baby shark :)

also, on the triggers do you need to feed them 3 times a day? all he is eating right now is pellets (he won't go after anything meaty) and i've been giving him some 3 times a day because he always PIGS out on them and looks around for food.... but is that over-feeding him?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7iYOZSIag[/ame]

and of course, because nothing exists without pictures... i present you with better!
VIDEOOOOO!
(so you picture whores can go someone where else... i like videos better ;D j/k i love you guys) lol

Last edited:
Back