Chalice and Candy Canes

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
These are two LPS corals that I have found that I really like. Can you all give me a basic layout of placement and care of them?

pretty straight forward with these guys, low to medium placement, low to medium flow, the occasional spot feeding does them good but its not needed. what kind of chalice are you looking at

I give my chalice high light and mod flow. Candy canes mod flow mod light.

The thing I have noticed about my chalices is that they are slowww growers. I did get some pretty cut up frags though. They will probably grow faster when the heal completely.

Best after I have right now.... Sorry hah

Before
SNB14040.jpg

After 3 months ish
rasta.jpg

Completely healed and starting to grow a third 'eye'

I just double checked it for bleaching... none :)

I saw some awesome sweepers coming out of it though. Never seen that before.

Regarding the candy canes, I have mine in the middle of the 46 gal bow front. They were already acclimated to a lot of light though (got them from from a guy from the local reefing club). I have decent flow, moderate, like CGoodman stated. They are very easy for care ... if I can keep them healthy then anyone can.

Now, just a little longer until I head out to the monthly club, where I'll pick up some green/purple frogspawn and hammer heads from the same guy :mrgreen:.

Candy canes love taking food like pieces of krill. Most will extend their feeding tentacles after the lights go out, then you can target feed them. Some never do (I have three sets of candy canes in my tank, one I've never even seen the tentacles on).

Mine get a small ring of tentacles out when I target feed them, but I saw some tonight that had an incredible amount of tentacles on them. I'm not sure what makes the difference.

Back