Clam question

How do you know its doing good? Mine is always fully open and looks good but was wondering if there is something i should watch for. Ive been feeding coral frenzy and phytoplex. And i have mine on the substrate as i tried a rock and he huffed himself off of it. I thought they needed like alot of light?

Suggestion, opinions would be helpful. Thanks!:Cheers:

I think as long as they are opening up, they should be fine. I know with mine i can clearly see the new growth, so that is also how i can check up on him. But i can see how that would be very hard on some tank.

Im sure you have enough light and good water quality for one.

Thanks for the link, was a good read.

I mean everything looks good just figured maybe there was a way to tell other than looks.

What do you feed yours LF?

I dont feed mine anything directly, but the food that i feed has lots of small particulates that i blow around for the sps corals and whatever else wants them. I figure he is getting some of that.

I think the best way to tell clam healthy is proper mantel extension. As long as that is good, i would assume he is doing great. I have also heard though that constant "gaping" of that mouth thing that they have is not a good sign, but im not 100% sure about that

Mine are doing well if they are open, the mantle is fleshy and not bleaching, and their hole isn't getting larger and larger. Another test to see if they are healthy is if they respond to changes in light by closing.

I dose with roti-rich by fufosa like once a week and my 3 seem to be fine, just enough to make the tank slightly cloudy though,so I tend to dose at night. biff's right watch the mantle and peek under it to see if there's any new growth ( it will be bright white) also some clam's require more light than other's witch i'm sure you read..

Once they get larger than about 3 inches, they don't require supplemental feeding. Mine is fully open and appears to be doing well. I have it under a clear tuperware container because my Majestic started picking at it :(

Back