Cleanup Crew

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
What does you cleanup crew consisit of? How many snails and hermits? I really need to purchase some more snails. Which are the best snails to take care of algae? Do any snails eat hair aglae?

The number depends on the food in the tank for them. Asteras are the best IMO I think I spelled it wrong though. A good clean up crew is sandsifters, algae eater and ditrius eater.

Mexican Turbo Snails work well on hair algae.

In my 75gal. I have 3 Mexican Turbos Snails,10 Astreas,3 Cerith,30 nassarius,2 queen conchs,5 bubblebees.I have 25 blue legged hermits also but I'm regretting it.They crawl all over my corals when I try to feed them.

2 fighting conch
4 emerald crabs
2 peppermint shrimp
18 tongan nassarius
10 nessarius
12-16 trochus
1 huge turbo
20 ceriths
1 tuxedo urchin (best member of the crew by far)
2 money cowrie

I feed a lot so i have to have a whole bunch of critters to eat everything.

In the 55 I got:
3 Tiger Conchs
1 pepperment shrimp
1 Emerald crab
3 wet back turbos
1 sea hare which eats hair algae like a cow
10 Bumble bee snails
100s of peanut worms
and 20 to 30 bristle worms

The 30 dont have much in the way of a cleaning crew,just a sally light foot,and a couple of trochus snails.Im getting ready break it down,and re-do it the right way.

What you going to do different on your 30 yote?

Well if we are naming cleanup crew in my 30 I have

2 fighting conches
1 emerald crab
about 12 red and blue leg hermits
1 sand sifting star
1 green brittle star
1 chacolate chip star
12 astreas snails
1 turbo sanil
6 nassarius snails
1 lawn mower blenny
and for hitch hickewr cleaners I have
About a millioin filter feeding sponges
30 to 50 feather dusters
And some really cool unknown worms in the sand bed that have tentacles sticking out of the sand dont know what they are though for sure.

Does anyone know what they are?

spaghetti worms you probally got them from my tank at night the sand bet is nothing but tentacles from spaghetti worms and there good to have. I moved some to my new 29 gallon and some feather dusters cause my hang on fuge is nothing but feather dusters so now my fuge is a hang on filter pretty much there are hundreds of them in there.

There in the sand bed with a bunch of tentacles coming out that seem to collect detrius. There very neat to watch. There like a light tan color some with black spots, and the worm it self it looks small and stubby and its a light tan to yellowish color.

Oh by the way D I will post some picks of the stuff I got a bit latter today. I also picked up a skimmer. The guy sold it to me as a CPR backpak but its bigger than any cpr skimmer I've seen and its black not clear. I also post a pic of that. That guy sold it to me for 10.00 so I figured I couldnt go wrong.

Last edited:
Bobby,
Im going to get rid of the CC LS mix, more rock,and get them dad blame kenya weeds out.Im thinking about sitting it up
with nothing but zoos and a couple of pipe fish.

Sounds great. I cant wait to see pics of it. I love pipe fish and zoas so IMO a great set up.

A good cleaning crew should have 1 critter per gallon. A nice mixture of crabs and snails. Realize that since crabs cannot make their own shells, they will be killing off your snails to take over their shells as the crabs grow. I add bigger shells when I add hermit crabs. Turbos are maniacs when it comes to eating hair algae and other algae. Assume 1 turbo per ten gallons - they need a lot of space to eat their grub. I am a fan of sifting stars as well. nice combo of snails astrea, corinth, what-have-you is fine. I like to have a 2:1 proportion of snails to crabs. Emerald crabs and cleaner shrimp are also a good idea. Hope this helps.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

not sure about sand sifters especially if your using deep sand bed they can clean out sand bed and starve. I lost one did fine for 6 months ate everything in sandbed. Now that i don't have one i have spaghetti worms back everywhere and other worms and small starfish moving around in sandbed, got life back in it again. Everyones opinion is different though but i believe its better to have that cleaning crew in sandbed also.

Back