Coarl Beauty has ick

michelle

Reefing newb
My new coral beauty appears to have ick. I have a medicine that the LFS gave me. Can't remember the name right now (it's in the car with the hubby) but its a 3% formaldeheyde mix. Should I try that or hop the CB fights it of on his own.
I raised my tanks temp to 80F.

Dont treat him in your display tank.
That being said,I'd let him fight it off himself.You'll cause him more stress by trying to net him.Plus the move into a hospital tank.
Just make sure he's eatting and soak the food in some garlic extract to boost his immune system.

I agree with Yote, even medications that are supposedly "reef safe" have been known to kill inverts.

I've had fish with ich, and I've never treated any of them. I've just given them extra vitamins (like Selcon) and garlic in their foods and tried to minimize stress, and it's always gone away on its own -- never lost a fish to it yet.

I'd take Biff's advice. When they have ick you don't want to stress them any more than they already are. If it doesn't live, it most likely wouldn't have lived in the QT either.

if he is eating, I would leave him be. I liken Ich to a bad flu bug in humans. rest and a good appetite is usually enough to get over the sickness in a week or so. If they stop eating, kiss em good-bye.

-Doc

I'd take Biff's advice. When they have ick you don't want to stress them any more than they already are. If it doesn't live, it most likely wouldn't have lived in the QT either.

Yes that is true, but only for as long as the fish is eating. If he stops eating, i would treat him in a medicated QT.

Back