Collecting fresh sea water from jetty ??

Lesely

Reefing newb
HI,
wondering if I could get some advice on collecting, storing and using fresh salt water from the jetty.

Is is safe ? Local LFS says NO ! chance of bacteria, disease, and extra critters that you dont want.
Is this true or are they just not wanting to lose a sale on buckets of salt ?

How long can you store it for ? Does it need aeration while being stored, or do you have to heat and use staight away.
Is it legal to take water from the jetty ?

Does it have everything needed for a mixed reef ?
We have a lot of corals ?

If I wanted to collect about 200 liters a time, what is the best way of doing this ?
Some say to collect at high tide other say after high tide ?

Could anyone who uses fresh sea water please help with any advice. It is risky or is it ok ?
Thanks
P.S I know most of the Living Reef people are from US, we are from Australia and have beaches close. Does anyone use this method for water changes ?

I live in Florida and have been using natural seawater to spike" my systems for many years with no problems.
lots of good stuff in there phyto/zooplankton trace elements ect.
I don,t store it for fear of die off. legal down here, I try to collect when we are fishing-away from inlets and crowded
beachs, don,t think tide matters.
Pretty sure no artificial mix = the real stuff

Collect from as far out and as deep down as is possible. Its fine if you make sure to do that, away from possible pollution. Many aquariums (San Francisco comes to mind) use open circuits with the bay water.

Ive got the north sea near me and Humber estuary if i added that and brought it up to temperature it would turn my inhabitants into mutants! lol:D

To be honest our beach and the water from the humber just got a new award for cleanliness at a high level.Definately some backhanders going on lol your toilet water after using it and before flushing would be clearer than the Humber.i mean there is rotting bodies in there as many people jump of the Humber Bridge to commit suicide:D

I had a friend on another forum years ago that was from Australia and used fresh sea water in his setup and he was very successful. My luck I'd get a Irukandji jellyfish and get stung. Lol

To be honest our beach and the water from the humber just got a new award for cleanliness at a high level.Definately some backhanders going on lol your toilet water after using it and before flushing would be clearer than the Humber.i mean there is rotting bodies in there as many people jump of the Humber Bridge to commit suicide:D
So there will be plenty of nutrients for your corals

If you can't get off shore, collect on an incoming tide with an offshore wind. Here's why. An off shore wind will actually blow off the top layer of water and the incoming tide will bring fresh seawater up from the depths. If you collect with a littoral wind blowing, that is up or down the coast, it's dragging the water along the shore line and all of the estuary water with it. I use NSW whenever I can and have been for a long time.

Back