Colors for LEDs

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Soon I am going to be changing out some leds on all four fixtures over my 180. Right now they are half white and half blues. It's way too white at the moment so I wanted to get a nicer color out of them. Wanted to see if there are any folks out there that had any suggestions on how I should set up colors, like if I should put in reds, UV's, greens, royal blues... things of that sort. There are 40 leds per light and I'll be using the non-star diodes.

UV is really important for coral growth, so maybe a couple of those on each fixture. Blues, purples and greens will all make it bluer and give the corals better pop. I would maybe do a few more 450/420 nm and maybe a couple green and a UV or two on each.

Thanks for the reply, it helps. A buddy of mine recommended 10 whites, 20 blues, 6 UV, 2 greens and 2 blues per fixture. Does this sound like a good combo or would you swap a few for something else?

I don't use the green, at all. I have the green on my Radions turned down to 0. When I had my Rapidled fixture they built it with 12 white and 12 blue. Like yours, it was way too bright, corals struggled with growth. I had them swap out 6 of the whites for UV. The tank took off after that.

So you have 12 blue, 6 white and 6 UV, that's it?

Just realized I listed blues twice in my last post. Was meant to read 10 whites, 20 blues, 6 UV, 2 greens and 2 reds.

Maybe go 10 whites, 20 blues, 8 UV and 2 reds?

So give me a rundown of what you'd have. I think I should have at least 10 whites, or is that still too many? I don't want it dark blue. I'm still working on what I want to get so any option is still open. I have been told a couple times to try cyan. Maybe 10 white, 15 blue, 8 uv (too many uv?) 5 royal blue and 2 cyan? I'm not sure still.

Ok, but that only covers 18 of the 40 in it. I'm looking for a total of 40 lights, how many of each color.

I'm reading you say 12 white and 6 uv but what would you make the other 22?

I was told by reefbreeders that anything lower than 420nm would be pointless to put in a light and they also said it could burn right through the lense eventually.

So a total:

12 whites (Already in the light)
15 blues (Already in the light)
6 UV (420nm)
3 royal blue (450nm)
4 purple (??)

So instead of purples, what would you change?

I've decided on this spread of colors. The number is set, already ordered and waiting for them but the spread is changeable. The whites and blues are already in the light and I'm replacing some of those with 9 royal blue, 5 UV's and 2 reds.

Back