Coral name and how to care for it

Reefster

Reefing newb
What is this coral and how should i care for it. been in tank for about 5 days. came home tonight and it was closed up like it was night time, but lights were still on the normal daytime settings. FYI - the water was getting low when i got home and the pump was blowing a lot of bubbles into the tank.

Attachments

• Coral 1.jpg
    Coral 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 356
It's an Acan. Target feed it some Cyclop-Eeze every 3 or 4 days, make sure you keep up with dosing stronium,calcium & magnesium. Place @ the bottom or bottom/middle of the tank. I've also heard of ppl dosing with amino acids to get better growth as well.

Last edited:
Also, a fast evaporation rate will increase the salinity as the salt doesn't evaporate. How much water evaporates before the pump sucks air? May be time to look into an ATO unit. A little DIY can save you a lot of $.

sg is 1.024
nitrate/nitrite=0
alkalinity = 150 (?)
pH = 7.6(?)

Honestly, I am having a hell of a time reading the little test strips. is there an inexpensive alternative?

Regarding evaporation, I am adding about two gallons every other day.

what about them being closed?

Forgot to answer lighting schedule...
6AM: white 43%, blue 63%, royal 83%
7PM: white 2%, blue 35%, royal 35%
10PM: white 0%, blue 2%, royal 2%

You should get rid of the test strips and get a better kit. I believe you can get an API master kit for around $30. Your Ph and alk seem a bit low. What is your water change schedule and brand of salt? My acans always looked their best after the lights were on for 4-5 hours then would shrink up some. I moved them down to the sandbed and they stayed open longer. Can you test your water at the LFS or against a better kit?

Last edited:
Have not done a water change yet. LFS said not to rush it until i see a movement in the nitrates. However, i was going to do about 10g tomorrow since i have a long weekend ahead of me.

The salinity is almost always around 1.026 -- kids like to test it regularly!

You should be doing weekly or biweekly water changes, it takes out the bad stuff and replenishes the good stuff. Also before you start dosing, you should get a good test kit and make sure you actually need to dose.

Those are Acans. Place them lower in the tank and they will be fine. Low to moderate flow. Plan on 20 gallon water changes bi weekly. Add calcium, magnesium, and alk by using a product like B-ionic which you can pick up at your LFS.

Back