Crocea Clam Foot Damage

Epos

Reefing newb
I was repositioning a few corals just a little bit ago and bumped my baby Crocea clam causing it to either release its foot or be torn from the rock it was on. I'm not sure whether it tore its foot entirely or just took some temporary damage. I know they're foot is very sensitive and can cause them to die if it is damaged too severely, however, I've never seen this happen to one personally so I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. The clam is about an inch and a quarter from mantle tip to mantle tip and its been inching its way down some live rock lately which leads me to believe it wasn't well attached in the first place. The spot on the rock where it was attached now has some mucous and a piece of flesh about the size of a bb on it. I checked the bottom of the clam and the foot (or what's left of it) was retracted and the clam is beginning to open up on the sandbed now. I bumped it pretty gently but I'm just not sure how much they can take before the damage becomes irreperable. All help appreciated.

Usually,any damage to the foot of a clam will cause it die.But I've also not seen one open up after its foots been damaged either,so you might be alright.

Things picking up any at the store?

Nah man, slow as hell today. Starting to get a little scary. But if he does a california order he'll have free labor from me for a month hehe so that might help out. I tell you what, this clam looks 10x happier on the sand than on the rock (he was tilted about 45 degrees and had been slowly moving downwards) and I think I gave him the nudge he had been looking for. It was really just a bump and he let loose, no resistance. If he dies, how long will it take? I'll be around most of the day tomorrow to watch him but I work all day saturday and 5 hours sunday and I'll be away from my tank except for a few checkups over the weekend.

I'll bet the clams fine since its still opening and looking better.

If everything works out where I can,I'm gonna try to come in and help y'all Sunday.Just dont hold me to it.
That little porities and monti I brought home wednesday are doin good,so I think I need some more corals.

sweet. I just brought home one of the ORA orange Montipora digitatas. Clam looks great. Repositioned himself a little bit and has colored up quite a bit. I figured he would be a goner. Do they prefer the sand bed in general or is it on a clam by clam basis?

I think Croceas like the sand better and Maxmias like being on the rock.I think.

Y'all gonna kill me with all those ORA frags in there:D
I think that after this next week,I should be able to get back in there on a regular basis through the week.We've got to have all these shutdowns done by Christmas,so after that I should be back on 40 hours.
I had intended on helping all this past week and next week,it just didnt work out like I wanted it to.

Back