Curious quick question on maintenance

Rob M

Reefing newb
How often do all of you have to/ need to clean tank glass? I seem to be doing it a little more often so not sure if I am overfeeding. All parameters are excellent. I recently added another fish and been putting in a little more food than normal hoping the new addition would get his share. All food is gone in a minute or two so this question is boarding on how much to feed but I am using the algae build up on glass as a possible guide.

I have an algae scrubber so I do it maybe once a week. Mostly to get rid of Coraline on the front glass. Mostly.

i clean my glass every 3-4 days, gets a light film of green-brown slime. this is normal, if you have enough light for corals then you have enough light for algae. feeding your fish isn't the problem unless you are feeding way to much. its the waste coming from the fish that is more the issue. that is more of a food source for the algae. but the algae is also a food source for your fish and snails. what you want to do is hopefully have it balance out. feed the fish, they poop and that feeds the algae, fish and snails eat the algae, you clean the glass, the dust coming off the glass feeds the corals, etc. i know its not dust but thats what it looks like and its a good food source for your corals. keep your filtration and skimmer clean, do water changes to keep it under control and everything just keeps rolling along. the only way that i know of to stop algae completely is to keep your tank in the dark and even then you get this brown scum on everything. if you are getting an excessive amount of hair and bubble algae then cut way back on food. more food for the fish more shit in the water more food for the algae.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I feel comfortable now. Knock on wood, things have been going really well. I am cleaning glass about every five days and wasn't sure if that was excessive but based on answers I am in normal range. No hair algae some bubble algae but very little, sailfin tang is keeping that under control

I just suck it up and wait til I do a water change. I still don't have a mag float for some reason so I keep my hands out as much as I can. Maybe I should go buy one today...

I clean the glass when the wife says "its blurry I can't see the corals. " or when I can't clearly see a coral and my nose is on the glass. Usually works out to twice a week.

i cant seem to grow algae on any thing but the glass. my tangs never stop cleaning the rocks. and believe me they are not starving. i've even tried to add rocks with several different kinds growing on it. no go. gobble gobble.

Back