Cycling my 20 gallon long

Radicalrob1982

Reefing newb
Hi. Thanks for reading my question.

I just got into the saltwater tank hobby and loving everything so far. I added my substrate and saltwater 2 weeks ago. I also added my live rock yesterday. 20 gallon long so I put in 23 pounds.I have all my equipment hooked up and also my heater along with my powerhead.

I tested my water today and see 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 to 0.5 nitrite and 0.25 nitrate. Is the liverock cycling my tank for me? It's my first test and I have no livestock. Just water and live rock. The rock was bought from my lfs and only took me 5 minutes to bring it home. It was also said to be fully cured. I at least hope so for 7 dollars a pound lol.
Can anyone let me know if the rock is going to cycle my tank for me eventually or should I go ahead and keep testing and or maybe add some fish flakes to feed my cycle?

Thanks for the help !

You can add fish flakes, or a piece of raw shrimp to the tank. It appears as though the tank has begun it's cycle. The rock does not cycle your tank, your tank breeds the bacteria for the rock to filter your tank.

Yep you have began to cycle. I have never added any kind of food to help cycling. So I have no answer for that. But the best way to go is be patient.

Back