Dead Shrimp and Emerald Crab...

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
Over the last few days, 3 peppermint shrimp and my emerald crab have died. I checked my water parameters, and I don't know what is wrong. Any ideas?

Water Parameters:

Temp.: 78*F
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.024
KH: 161.1 ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20
Phosphates: 0
Calcium: 400 ppm
Iodine: 0.06

I haven't changed anything in my tank, so I don't know why they died all of a sudden. My goby, starfish, and other miscellaneous inverts are doing fine. I only feed them once a day; do you think maybe I just didn't feed them enough?

I think its the trates. The closer to 0 the better. Shrimp and crabs need very low to no trates. This is from live aquaria "The Peppermint Shrimp is very social and peaceful towards most reef inhabitants. Like other invertebrates, the Peppermint Shrimp cannot tolerate copper-based medications or high nitrate levels"

Yeah, I thought it might be the nitrates...

I haven't added anything to the tank. And they weren't molts...I watched my nassarius snails eat 2 of the 3 dead shrimp.

I'm worried that my nitrates aren't the original cause of the die-off, though. I think the nitrates might just be high because of the shrimp/crab decay in the tank.

I haven't checked for stray voltage, but all of the equipment on my tank is new (only 8 weeks old). And, if it were stray voltage wouldn't my shrimp and crab have died sooner? And wouldn't everything else be dead as well (i.e. goby, starfish, other crabs and snails)?

I have my own RO/DI unit and I use SeaChem salt mix for water changes...

I haven't checked for stray voltage, but all of the equipment on my tank is new (only 8 weeks old). And, if it were stray voltage wouldn't my shrimp and crab have died sooner? And wouldn't everything else be dead as well (i.e. goby, starfish, other crabs and snails)?
There's no set rule to this, if there is voltage, it could remain for a long time before anything died, or kill everything all at once, or some combination of the two. If you are having unexplained die-off, it's worth looking into.
I have my own RO/DI unit and I use SeaChem salt mix for water changes...
Have you checked your output with a tds meter? If you are getting copper in your water, that would explain invert die-off, and copper is pretty common in our tap water.

Not sure I understand your question? You should place one probe on a ground and the other in the tank water, you can turn the dial to both AC and DC to check for both though I think if there's voltage there it'll read on the AC setting either way.

it's unlikely that you have voltage since all the equip is new and your meter is reading 0. To be more clear though, you need to place one probe on a ground. The easiest place to find a ground is by removing an outlet cover and touching the probe to the metal chasis of the outlet, assuming that your house is grounded. Then place the other probe in the water. If your house is not grounded, then you need to place the probe against the neutral side of the circuit. If the house is wired correctly, it's the left side of the outlet, or the one with the white wire attached. Please be careful and don't try to perform tasks with electrical beyond your comfort level.

I think I did the voltage test right. I called my dad because he knows about electrical stuff (or at least knows more than I do).

I missed your earlier post about copper in the water. I didn't test for copper today because I have tested our tap water before and it was fine. I will go ahead and test for copper again, though, just in case...

I'll let you know what I find...

My nitrates are now down to about 10ppm after the water change...

I change out 10% a week. Why would my nitrates be high? Should I being doing larger/more frequent water changes?

Back