Die Colonial Hydroids!

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Die Colonial Hydroids! (CHs)
I tried blasting them with boiling water from a turkey baster and they shrank but did not die. They were everywhere. I took rock out and blasted them with a blow torch --putting the blue flame right on the CHs for at least 5 seconds. They came back --no I am not kidding. So I torched them a second time until the rock turned black. They died. I lowered the water level down to 20% and torched rock. I did kill a lot this way. In some cases they are too close to a coral or clam so I put a dollop of kalk paste on them and they were covered up but now my tank looks weird with big splotches of bright white paste everywhere and I still haven't killed them all! Anyone know I better way?

I don't know of any way to get rid of those Hydroids.
Matter of fact,we've tried just about everything you can think to control em at the LFS.Nothing has worked.
Now as soon as we spot CHs on a rock,,that rock goes out back in a bucket full of bleach, recurred,and sold as base rock.

UPDATE: When I've used Aptasia X to kill aptasia or red turf algae in the past they tell you to put it on the pest, wait 5 mins or so then suck most it out with a turkey baster or a pump hose. Using this method, I tried Aptasia X in the past on colonial hydroids (CHs) and it did nothing.

Recently, however, I decide to apply the Aptasia X, being sure to cover the CHs completely and leave it on over night. I came back the next day, sucked out what Aptasia X was left and saw that they had died back quite a bit so I applied the stuff again. After applying once a day and leaving it on overnight, for about 5 days, I saw a dramatic die back of the CHs. Can't say they are gone but I think I have found a way to control them to a great degree.

I have not tried using a lot in the tank at any one time. I just tried small spot treatments.

Hmmm I've never sucked it out with a turkey baster after applying it. I've always just left it on. I don't think anything could survive being smothered with Aiptasia X, but if you've got a large area, it could be pretty time consuming to treat it a little bit at a time. Better than nothing I suppose!

i man feel your pain. i've had 3 or 4 zoas die b/c of these. i hate these lil buggers. i have been putting super glue on the tips figured cant eat they have to die

With these buggers you need to treat using multiple methods.
  1. Some rocks that had them bad, I took the rock out of the tank and bleached it. Then rinsed for days with a lot of de-chlorinator.
  2. Rocks that I could take out easily but had corals on it, I used a blow torch to spot treat. Break off black stuff and rinse well with tank water after using fire otherwise the torching could actually spread them!
  3. For rocks that could not be easily removed, Aptasia X treatment is the way to go.

I also had luck covering them with Aptasia X and then putting a layer of kalk paste on top that.

What's amazing is that unless you practically blacken the rock the CHs will not die! You really got torch 'em good. If the heads get burnt off and fall off in the tank it could spread'em even more.

Also, I heard one guy dremeled them off the rock

My rock was smoking when I finished. I think I got the ones on the opposite side at the same time. LOL

Rock colored right up after placing it back into the tank too.

Another little method we stumbled on at the LFS, is to put a Asfur Angel in the tank. But of course those guys tend to like the taste of corals too.

Back