DIY Calcium And Buffer

BigH55

I'm that guy
My buddy told me that you can make your own Calcium out of Prestone Driveway heat and by baking baking soda (Buffer). Is this true and has anyone done it? If it works it will save us all a bunch of money and make us look like fools for spending the cash on Chemicals.

I looked at the article and it is very technical. Can you put it into stupid people terms for me.

I can't explain that article any simpler, it just explains how to make a two-part solution for dosing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium . But going back to your initial question Preston Driveway heat is 90-97% calcium chloride therefore it in itself is calcium. So it's not that your making calcium out of driveway heat, it is calcium.

I have been using prestone drive way heat for around 1 1/2 years and will continue to use it. Works great and is very cheap.

BigH that is the best DIY article ever written for supplementation. The best place that I have found of to order supplies for it is www.bulkreefsupply.com make sure to order Magnesium Hexahydrate for the Mag part.

It was very interesting and its amazing how companies are ripping us off. For the cost of a 16oz bottle of a two part system, we could make a years supply

Geoxman on RC sells chemicals for a living and can get you a huge 55 gal drum for cheap. If you can find a bunch of people to in on it you can get a chit ton for next to nothing. I think he's selling each barrel for like 60.00 so if you get 6 people to go in you get a 6th of a barrel for 10.00 and I bet it would last you a LONG TIME.

Oh and I will by nothing from a RC member that doesn't participate on this forum. Its like shaking hands with the devil.

HAHA You add the amount the calculator says to add. You put in how many gallons of water you have, your current cal level, and the level you want to be at, and it'll tell you how much to add.

pickling lime or kalkwasser can be used to help maintain calcium and PH, but should not be used to raise calcium IMO

I will agree, not good in large doses. You can however easily add it and slowly raise your calcium and alk over time without any bad affects. It really is the easiest method for raising and maintaining calc/alk

Back