Dry Rock Pillar

JAnderson1

Reefing newb
image.jpg
Hello everybody!

So I bought a new 75 Gallon tank that's in the planning and refinishing phase. I have a question. I've attached a picture. I'm wanting to build a rock pillar. I have about 50-70lbs of dry rock to work with.

When we set up the 75gallon we are basically moving everything from the 46 over we are reusing the current live rock and water.

sorry I hit the "Post" button to fast...

When we set up the 75gallon we are basically moving everything from the 46 over, reusing the current live rock and water. Can I simply add the dry rock pillar to the setup? Do I need to cycle/cure it first? I'm a little confused on the issue. Can you give me some guidance? Thanks

If your dry is good and dry and clean of any decay you shouldn't experience much if any of a cycle. Especially since you are using existing live rock from your other system. I have done what you are describing many times with no issues.

If your dry is good and dry and clean of any decay you shouldn't experience much if any of a cycle. Especially since you are using existing live rock from your other system. I have done what you are describing many times with no issues.

Thanks @salt_for_brains i guess I should have mentioned the live rock I have has been out of water for about 2 years. That makes me feel better about using it.

It looks great.
Did you use any resin/plastic "skeleton" to keep the tower together in case the load-bearing parts crack/erode?
You don't want a 20 pound baseball bat swinging from inside the tank.

It looks great.
Did you use any resin/plastic "skeleton" to keep the tower together in case the load-bearing parts crack/erode?
You don't want a 20 pound baseball bat swinging from inside the tank.
I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Please explain? All I used was the epoxy

Epoxy is very crumbly after it cures. It will not support a joint in motion. If you pick it up the wrong way or it tips in the tank it may all just come tumbling over.

I built two towers for my 110 tall and ran acrylic rod through each piece to form a supporting frame. Drilled through each piece and used aquarium caulk to bind them together.

Hopefully you can get that monster into your tank without it falling apart!

Sorry for the late response, I've been away from home for quite some time.
I was referring to something similar to Big K's structure.

Here are some pictures of how I built one of my "towers".
IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Everything is held together by plaster. Once the plaster set, I removed all the wires.
IMG_0481.jpg

This is the finished product after a few month in the tank and starting to purple up.
There is another rock piece in the back that makes it look like one large boulder from this view.
DSC_0009-1_zpsd209bf28.jpg

Back