Electrical load?

bk6662

Reefing newb
I've had my system running for two months now - was shocked when I received my utility bill this morning. It normally runs about $50/month (gotta love San Diego!) But this month was $150.

Have the following electrical load on my tank:

- Lights: 6-bulb 24" T5. Running 12/hrs per day
- Pump: Quite One 3000
- Powerhead: Koralia Evolution 750gph
- Skimmer: Bubble-Magus 3e
- Heater: Sized for 75-gallon (sorry lost the packaging on this item!)
- Compact florescent light on my refugium (small bulb - 12-hours per evening)

And the following runs often, on my water-change bin:

- Powerhead: Same as above
- Heater: rated for 20 gallons

Can somebody help me to estimate how much current I am using, so I can guestimate if it will always be this expensive to run? Is this pretty much par for the course? I knew it wouldn't be cheap to get started, and stocked. But I didn't expect this much of a hit on my electric bill.

Thanks!
-bk

I'm paying about .12 a kilowatt hour, and a 180 has added about $25 a month to my electric bill

To calculate the electic cost of a gadget, take its rating in watts and divide it by 1000 then multiply that by the number of hours a day that you run it, and then by the cost per kilowatt hour

So for example assuming the bulbs in your fixture are 26 watts a piece and assuming a kilowatt / hr charge of 12 cents

(156 /1000) * 12 (hours it runs) * .12 (kilowatt/hr charge) = .22 cents a day or $6.73 a month for the light fixture

Note: The calculation above does not take into account any other fees or extra charges your utility may charge

could be that last month was just an estimate and this month was an actual and you got hit with the difference for the 2 months - my electric company has done that before to me - just a thought

Thanks Northstar - that's good info! Amber you're probably right (I hope) - it's been cold (at least for Southern California) this past month or so.

FastRD400 dare I ask how much your tank(s) are costing you each month?

I'm paying about .12 a kilowatt hour, and a 180 has added about $25 a month to my electric bill

To calculate the electic cost of a gadget, take its rating in watts and divide it by 1000 then multiply that by the number of hours a day that you run it, and then by the cost per kilowatt hour

So for example assuming the bulbs in your fixture are 26 watts a piece and assuming a kilowatt / hr charge of 12 cents

(156 /1000) * 12 (hours it runs) * .12 (kilowatt/hr charge) = .22 cents a day or $6.73 a month for the light fixture

Note: The calculation above does not take into account any other fees or extra charges your utility may charge

My pumps say they are rated at 4.5 watts. Does that really mean 4.5 kw? I don't know anything about electricity (obviously!) but I have a hard time believing the pump draws 1/5 of what a single bulb draws. Should I read that as 45 watts? 450 watts? (I also have trouble imagining that a pump draws less than a 60 watt light bulb!!)

Thanks,
bk

My pumps say they are rated at 4.5 watts. Does that really mean 4.5 kw? I don't know anything about electricity (obviously!) but I have a hard time believing the pump draws 1/5 of what a single bulb draws. Should I read that as 45 watts? 450 watts? (I also have trouble imagining that a pump draws less than a 60 watt light bulb!!)

Thanks,
bk

No - 4.5 KW is 4.5 kilowats, or 4500 watts. If your pump is rated at 4.5 watts then this is how you would figure cost (same assumptions as above)

(4.5/1000) *.12 (cost per kilowatt hour) * 24 (assuming pump runs 24/7) = 1.2 cents a day or 36 cents a month for a pump rated at 4.5 watts

Back