Emerald crabs

Phroger

Reefing newb
Can anybody give me advice on how to catch a couple of larger emerald crabs please. I would like to keep them alive if at all possible. It seems as if they have been catching and killing a few of my smaller fish and I want to get them out before I lose any more. Thanks for all advice.

well, you could try what we do at the coast, tie a light string/thread to a bit of meat, drop that in, let them grab on, lift up to about 3 inches under the water surface, get a net in and under them and then lift up past and above the water, when they hit the surface they generally let go and go right into the net..

dunno if it would work for that particular kind of crabs, but thats how we used to catch em when we were kids...

well, you could try what we do at the coast, tie a light string/thread to a bit of meat, drop that in, let them grab on, lift up to about 3 inches under the water surface, get a net in and under them and then lift up past and above the water, when they hit the surface they generally let go and go right into the net..

dunno if it would work for that particular kind of crabs, but thats how we used to catch em when we were kids...

Project beat me to it.Thats exactly what I was gonna suggest.:D
BTW
That method works great.

After watching the way this one attacked the shrimp bait I used (absolutely no hesitation), I'm very sure that he was the culprit. And yes, it definitely is an emerald crab. He's currently in my sump awaiting transport to the LFS this weekend. Only reason he was in the tank to begin with was because I had the same information that they eat mainly algae but this guy seemed to like meat as well.

too bad. my emerald crabs never caused problems. hell i cant even find em! they hide all the time...... always. and no mine never ate any noticeable amount of algae either!

If you have a large enough emerald crab they'll get snippy at fish. I don't have any now but whenever I had some they only seemed to snip off any oxygen bubbles on the LR from my skimmer. That was about it. The last one I had got his leg caught in between some LR and the nassarius snails, the cannibals that they are, took a liking to him REALLY quick. :(

Back