Emerald Crabs

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I can't keep em for some reason. Both ones I have gotten have died within days. I predominantly have hermits in my tank instead of snails because IMO snails are wimps and I have no problems with any dwarf blue legs, electric blues, scarlet hermits at all, but when it comes to Emeralds they just can't hack it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe they eat slightly different things and your tank doesn't have a large amount of that variety of algae? I don't have much luck with emeralds either but my snails & hermits thrive....

The only reason I see having an emerald crab is to rid your tank of bubble algae. The emeralds I've had don't do much, or get their stupid legs stuck in a rock and become snail food.

And snails rule!!! They'll clean anything. Far more useful.

Acclimating crabs is not usually a HUGE deal. Are you positive they are dead? I bought some. They came out never if I was lucky. Always hiding. They could be dead. Could be alive. I am wondering the same thing I'm my tank right now because of how reclusive they have been.

Acclimating crabs is not usually a HUGE deal. Are you positive they are dead? I bought some. They came out never if I was lucky. Always hiding. They could be dead. Could be alive. I am wondering the same thing I'm my tank right now because of how reclusive they have been.

I saw it's body being devoured. The first 3 nights it never moved from under this one coral I have, then one day I saw it on one of my live rocks going to town on some algae, the next night it was being eaten.

IMO acclimating inverts is important.They are very sensitive to water parameters changes from the LFS water to your tank water. That`s why drip acclimation is recommended.

Alto I would agree that it's not getting enough food for some reason. You can supplement the algae with some tablets too. Algae is pretty much their food of choice.

Wow I have an emerald crab I haven't given him any special care and he is doing great. I never knew that they can be chalenging

Back