Emerald Crabs

mcguire6799

Reefing newb
Just started in on a reef tank, going for about 2 months and water has been testing fine for 3 weeks and did a water change and is still testing good. Decided to add some janitorial staff to kick things off, went with 6 blue legged hermits, 2 red legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 strawberry crab, and a yellow head sleeper goby.

My hermits are always out and about doing their thing cleaning having a good time, goby has been in tank less than a week and I am seeing him more and more as each day goes by. Strawberry crab I see at night around the edges of the tank or eating algae off rocks doing what he does being nocturnal, occasionally during the day I see him too.

My emeralds however I have only seen a couple times, saw one of them today, there is plenty of green hair algae in the tank, but I don't see them too often, are they "shy" as well for a little while or should I be a little concerned? My girlfriend's dad has an emerald that I see almost every time I go over to his house. New to this so don't know how they act.

howdy and welcome to the site.. :D
Emerald crabs are in hiding alot of the time eating off the rocks.. The only time I really saw mine was when they rolled around the rock and popped out eating only to be gone again a few seconds later.. I wouldnt worry to much about seeing them often.. I would get some snails in the tank though, like nass, florida ceriths, dwarf cerith, astrea...

Hello and Welcome!

+1 marcah on the snails, they are much more effective algae eaters than crabs.

Also the strawberry crab isnt reef safe and you should get it out of there ASAP, before one of your fish becomes lunch.

I've read some negative and positive about the strawberry crab but so far no problems with it. I was told not to mix crabs and snails? Or is it okay?

well they will go after the snails for the shells and for some, the pure pleasure of killing them, but snails are so much more beneficial for the tank and I would high suggest you get some. Getting extra shells for the hermit crabs will help cut down on snail aggression.

Snails. I have green hair right now which is why I've got the emeralds. The strawberry I got on a package deal with hermits and the goby. If I do start having problem with the strawberry what do I do with him

the emeralds arent going to eat an appreciable amount of algae, snails will though. Different snails will target different types of algae so its best to get a wide variety of snails. I would go to reefcleaners.org and look at their CUC packages to get an idea of what you want.

Emeralds are more for eating bubble algae which is a type of algae snails wont touch.

I trimmed it quite a bit right now. I'd like to stay away from turbo snails as they are big and rather clumsy. Heard of them knocking over rocks and everything and growing quite large.

I had emailed reefcleaners.org for a CUC and this is what I was told
20 Dwarf Ceriths
9 Nassarius
9 Florida Ceriths
6 assorted hermits(more than what it is there now)
3 large and 3 small to medium Nerites.

Would you agree with that? Add or subtract something?

Back