Feed my cycling aquarium?

Brett W

Reefing newb
Hello, I am new to this whole reefing world so dont laugh at my question please. I set the 75 gallon system up without LR and LS and began the cycle with a piece of shrimp. I removed the shrimp after 3 days.I have checked the water ever day. On day 5 I began to see ammonia. I am on the 13 day of the cycle and it appears the ammonia is starting to fall off. My question is should I feed the aquarium or not? Thanks for your advice.

Please research nitrogen cycle.

Ammonia then nitrites and then nitrates. At the end of the cycle, monitor trates and phoshates. Cycle complete.... introduce cuc and then fish.... slowly since you have no buffer capacity for the cycle and introducing to many fish may have a spike in your cycle. End result would be dead fish with a chemical burn appearance.

Ok Thanks. I have one other problem. When I made up my salt water and started the cycle I got the salinity too high due to a very inaccurate hydrometer. I had a refracometer odrered and checked the salinity with it when it arrived. It is at 1.034. I figured I would wait for the cycle to finish before I adjust the salinity. Do you think I will have any affects from the high salinity. Hydrometer what a pile of junk!!!!! Thanks I am learning the hard learning maybe but I am learning.

Yeah, good move on the refractometer.

Personally, I would go ahead and dip out some tank water and then add some freshwater to start bringing down the salinity. Try and get your specific gravity around 1.025/26. Do a controlled amount so you can see how much you are dropping it. If you had livestock in the tank you would want to make the changes spread out over days but since it is not stocked I would get it down today.

Thanks Leroy, I did get my money back on that hydrometer and threw it in the trash. One last thing if i have read all this cycling process correctly I should not be running the skimmer correct?

Done!!! I have got the water salinity down to1.025. I am showing ammonia1.0 nitrite 1.0 and nirtate 5.0
My alkalinity is low down to 7.4 any thing i need to address?

Only up side of running that skimmer is that it sometimes takes about 3 weeks before they skim correctly so having it during cycle does the break in process so when you have livestock you are getting that coffee looking skim.

Back