filamented wrasse

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
My LFS just got in a beautiful filamented wrasse and they are charging $30 for it. When i went in there to look at it today i notice on one side it has some markings which kinda worried me. When i asked the guy about it (he's actually the GM and the guy i always deal with when it comes to fish.. hes never really given me any bullshit advice) he said that he thinks that this monster 5 inch-ish sleeper goby might have grabbed him because when they got it he said it didnt have the marks.

Since they run copper in their system i had him put it on hold for now so its in the copper water some more before i pick it up. They have had it since tuesday.

Questions:
1) How long should i leave it there in order for the copper to kill off anything that might be in there???
2) Does copper basically kill off everything?? Ick/Parasites/Internal Parasites/etc.

Also if anyone has any general info on these fish would be appreciated.

One of my favs. They are jumpers so be sure to cover your tank. I would watch the sore that appeared on its side, did the GM move him of the fish that was picking on him?

Copper should only run with your fish for 48 hours, then it should be pulled out and your fish observed. If a fish is exposed to copper for to long it can cause other issues with their digestive system. Copper will kill most inverts, some things like scales will not be affected by copper. Do you know where the wrasse was collected?

I do not know where it was collected, and the other fish that he said was picking on it was taken out. Also, they run copper all the time i think...

Anyone have a video of this fish swimming?? It seemed to me that it was swimming a litte akward/labored but i know they swim a little different from other fish... so im not sure.

i dont have aa vid of when i had mine but this pic is from before it jumped for the last time.

026.jpg

Sorry, I would recommend steering clear of this one. JMO

Wait a while for them to sell that one (or for it to die if that's the case) then ask them to order another one for you. You may have to wait a little longer, but a fish swimming strangely is not a safe purchase.

its not really strangely... i dont know how to explain it, ill try to find some youtube videos of one swimming and see if it looks the same

he swims like the wrasse in this video, to me it seems like its trying to keep afoat or something... like constantly pushing itself up, but maybe im just weird and thats just how they swim.. does that one look like its acting/swimming normal??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mmDyioGsY]YouTube - Flasher wrasse 1[/ame]

Doesn't seem normal to me either. In that video the fish was in a bag so he was probably stressed out.

At the LFS the fish shouldn't be stressed, so...

so i went back today, after 5 days, and the fish was doing much better... he was even "flashing" to some of the anthias in the tank, so i decided to get it

as soon as the girl caught it and put it in the bag it was sitting on its side, but i attributed that to just being stressed/from the net, etc

when i got home i aclimated him and set him free.. i also fed the tank right after and he ate pretty well, but after he got done eating he went to the front of my tank and is on the bottom leaning on the glass... its still breathing pretty normal and its looking around and stuff but it just doenst seem right

whats going on?? is this normal for a new fish to do this because of stress??

Call the LFS store and express your concerns. That why if it dies they will know it was in a bad way from the start.

Hopefully it will make a comeback. Fish can and often do act strangely when stressed.

i did that already and they told me that if it does die, they will give me the money back in store credit to pick something else up... hopefully he make it though

At least you have nothing to lose, except for the fish of course.

If it dies put it in a zip lock bag with some table salt and place it into the freezer. Then you can take it out and back to them at your connivence. Hope it makes it.

Its pretty normal for a wrasse to just lay on his side when you first put him in your tank. Usually they will bury themselves.

How is he doing today?

Back