fireworms 'Hermodice carunculata'

shugaskull

Reefing newb
The tank is only 55gals with a 10gal refugium. My corals have been decimated by fireworms 'Hermodice carunculata' a specific type of bristle worms that eat everything. They are crafty little devils and know when the tweezers are coming. I have tried the bottle with a cone of netting that has food in it to trap them (like a small crab trap) with no luck. So what i am asking for is advice on traps and what kind of creatures eat them. Bear in mind that there is a large serpent star (a green brittle star 'Ophiarachna incrassata') that has eaten many fish. I have 5 damsel fish 'stegastes variabilis' that know to be weary of the bringer of death and a tomato clown 'Amphiprion frenatus' that hangs out with the star. Very funny friendship but it keeps the tomato clown from being picked on. So saying that there is a constant treat to the whatever fish eats the fireworms is an understatement. Shrimp are out of the question because they are just an expensive dinner. Crabs make it sometimes but unless they have a shell (like hermits) they don't last. Understanding that some wrasse have a hard palate they might be able to eat them. What species of wrasse or other fish are the best for fireworms? What crabs are best to eat them? What other creatures vertebrate or invertebrate eat them? Tonight I will be trying the nylon stocking with food in it to see if that works. If it doesn't I will go get a PVC pipe next. Other trap ideas would be appreciated, but I'm really looking to add to the food chain. Thank you for your time and PLEASE HELP.

Also understand that it is a chem free system. We have removed all mechanical filtration and really on natural siphoning threw live rock, other natural medias and life forms for cleaning. The water tests are in a healthy range and is not the issue. I just want to know how to knock back or completely remove the Fireworms in a natural way. Thank you again

Various dottybacks (Pseudochromis spp.) may help, as will coral banded shrimps (stenopus hispidus) and arrow crabs (stenorhynchus seticornis).

I think the six line wrasse is one of the best choices for eradicating the worms. And as far as traps go, you could try placing some food in a stocking cap/panty hoses, and placing it in the tank after the lights go out. Place the food in the stocking, and tie the end, the bristles will get caught in the material.

Various dottybacks (Pseudochromis spp.) may help, as will coral banded shrimps (stenopus hispidus) and arrow crabs (stenorhynchus seticornis).

The only problem with the dottybacks is that they are slow when resting at night and the green serpent star eats them quickly. I will try them again though. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, as stated before, shrimp are a deliquescent in my tank. You are the second person to advise arrow crabs and I am still looking for a reliable source for them.

I think the six line wrasse is one of the best choices for eradicating the worms. And as far as traps go, you could try placing some food in a stocking cap/panty hoses, and placing it in the tank after the lights go out. Place the food in the stocking, and tie the end, the bristles will get caught in the material.

Again thank you that is my strategy for tonight,and so far no success. The nylon seems to be to small for those paranoid lazy worms. I have gotten advice to starve my tank but the problem is I have a healthy refugium.
Is the six lined wrasse the best for the job?
Understanding that it is common and easy to acquire I have to ask.
I have loved them in the past, but was wondering if there is something more veracious.

Please do not get discouraged and keep the suggestions coming;
Thank You

You might try one of the Coris Wrasses.Both the yellow and green love to chow down on worm flesh.
A sure fire solution would be the dragon Wrasse ( stone roller ) but the fact that this is a reef tank,kills that idea.

Back