Fish Trap

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
While not new to reefing I am absolutely new to trying to catch a bannerfish in my reef tank...yes the beautiful, graceful, coral destroyer under my name. Any suggestions????? Traps or tricks. I am about ready to get the shotgun out but I think my wife would wrestle it away from me and I would be the one floating........

I tried everything to catch my more aggressive damsel...what eventually worked was putting some food in my hob refugium. Eventually (after catching a few wrong fish), I got him.

I basically slid the hob refugium down to just an inch below the water level, so it could get in, but not easily out.

Have tried the fishing trick. Used a #22 trico with a small shrimp on it. Only problem is it is a banner fish that has a very small mouth. He hit it several times and couldn't take the hook although the clown fairy wrasse shot out of the rock and swallowed it whole. He finally got himself unhooked thank goodness. So today the wife and I spent an hour knocking over corals and never caught him. I am going to try and reread the article on reefkeeping and see if any of those ideas look more promising. If not then next weekend I may just take the coral and rock out :( and after I stop crying catch the fish and trade it back in to the LFS. I will let you know how it turns out.

Actually just did the same thing tonight with a Maroon Clown. Took me close to 2 hours, and in the end pulled out most the rock and moved all my corals to one corner. Little :pooh: was so exhausted by then and had no place to hide he just gave up. Still have one little pain in tha tail Damsel, I'm hoping he finds my anenome though :D.

That being said.............I really liked the thought of pumping the water out into a barrel or 2 and being able to scoop em up off the bottom of the tank like that article suggested.

Back