Fish trap

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I have a naughty neon flame dottyback that is attacking my peppermint shrimp. The poor little guy has only a few legs left and some of them are only partial legs. There is no way I can net the a$$hole. He is so fast and scurries in the rocks. I tried putting food in the net but he just picks at it from the opposite side of the net. I tried putting a plastic soda bottle with food but the only thing I've caught is a few nass snails. I recall a thread about reverse baffling on the soda bottle but have no idea how to construct this. Anyone have any ideas? I saw the dottyback nipping at the damsel yesterday...must have a death wish....if only the wussy damsel would take care of him, I wouldn't need to deal with this!!!

Cut the top off of the soda bottle, then flip the half that you drink out of around and insert it inside the other half of the bottle. It's worth a shot.

I made a divider the width and height of my tank out of an acrylic sheet. Move a couple of pieces of rock so that you can slide it all the way to the sand., turn of all the powerheads (if you don't you won't be able to hold onto the divider). coax the fish to the side of the tank that you moved to rock. when he's over there, just start sliding the divider closer to him, cutting him off from the rest of the tank. take the net, scoop him out.

I can get all of my fish out within a matter of minutes if I need too.

This fish is the biggest a$$hole!!! The soda bottle trap wasn't working so I went out and bought a piece of acrylic....was going to try PRC's method. Went out to the garage and measured, cut, basically got everything ready. Went back in the house and started moving rocks from one side of the tank but couldn't find him. Somehow he got into the overflow box and got sucked into the sump. Well, now I have a divider if I ever need it. I tried chasing him around the sump but there's too much equipment in there and he's really fast. So he spent the night there and I will deal with him tonight.

I got him!! Pulled everything out of the sump and netted him. Back to the store he went....and they gave me full credit!

Back