Fluval vs. Rena canister filters

drummerboy

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,
Anyone have much experience with the Rena's? I've had fluval(and Aquaclear on the small tanks) my whole aquarium life but have had problems. My problems with Fluvals..I always had a rewally hard time priming them. I know, I know..read the instructions and follow them, and there should be no problem. Anyway..I've always had problems getting Fluvals going. My last go-around with my Fluval 404, I was losing water on the floor(about ten gallons the last time), and my impellor was wearing out. After my Fluval quitting on me a couple times and trying a couple things..we deduced that I needed a need filter. So..it was either a NEW Fluval, or a Rena(something I had no experience with(but self-priming). As against trying new things as I am..I wanted a better experience with these canister filters but hated the problems I've had with the Fluvals. Not only that but, anyone else I talked to said they never had any problems and the Fluvals worked great for them. Anyway..after a little deliberation..I chose the Rena. My friend at the lfs said they work really awesome, and has had no problems with them. Not only that, they come with a two-year warranty as opposed to one for the Fluval. So..I bought the Rena, and set 'er up. All I can say is..WHAT A DREAM!!! I was actually giddy after getting it going. It started so nice-n-easy!! Also, instead of coming out of a typical spout(which it comes with as well if you want that option), it also comes equipped with a spray-bar type tube so you can shoot your water out that way, maximizing water-flow. I think we've only had them her at our lfs for a short time but..I'm sold on these things. If anyone wants a filter they don't have to "pump" or prime..I seriously recommend these Rena filters. Granted, I've only had mine for a week or so but..I've very happy with it so far.
Just thought I'd express my happiness for this product:^:. I'm interested in any thoughts about the Rena or the Fluval, for that matter. Happy fishkeeping everyone..take care!!!
Kennan

Glad you're happy with yours, but I still don't recommend any type of canister filters for saltwater, unless it's for a fish only tank. They are usually very problematic and detrimental to water quality when they are used for reef tanks. I recommend a protein skimmer over any type of canister filter.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and the tip!!! Fortunately, my tank is 'fish-only.' And after 2 1/2 months..all is well. I'll be sure to remember once I start my 35ga reef tank to go with a protein skimmer. THANKS again!! :)

I like the Rena's personally, they flow more and cost less. I, like Biff, dont recommend one for marine aquariums though.

they are great for running carbon or phosban but other than that they are not recommended by me or very many people for salt use. i had a fluval 404 that almost started a fire when the seal started leaking and flooded a shurge protecter with water

Back