Fragging SPS

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
Is it really as easy as cutting a piece off, acclimating it to the new tank, and letting it grow?

I ask because it is getting to be time to frag some of my SPS in my tiny tank and would like to relocate the frags to my bigger tank. When I received my frags initially, the one birdsnest had a couple branches broken off, and rather than throwing them out, I acclimated them and just stuck them in holes in the rocks, sans frag plugs. Those broken bits have done really well, and one is now ready to frag along with the mother colony and my other birdsnest, as well as both my montis. I would prefer to forego frag plugs if possible, but a couple of the frags will probably be fairly small and easily lost. For those frags, should I use plugs and glue?

Any input would be nice. Kthnx!

try to get a nice sized piece. like at least an inch. i would use a frag disc cuz once they get big itll be alot of weight for that frag plug. use super glue gel.

also i would start the frags off a little lower in the tank and give them a day or two to heal before u move them up where u want them to get a little more light.

I was more wondering if i could forego mounting them entirely, as i did with the broken fragments of the birdsnest. I just set those in tiny holes in the the rock, and they have attached themselves and grown beautifully, no glue or mounts required. I did it that time on a whim, and it worked ok. Or possibly acclimating them, and then gluing them directly to the rock it want them on? Point being to avoid mounts. I have some, but i find them very unattractive, aesthetically speaking.

I was more wondering if i could forego mounting them entirely, as i did with the broken fragments of the birdsnest. I just set those in tiny holes in the the rock, and they have attached themselves and grown beautifully, no glue or mounts required. I did it that time on a whim, and it worked ok. Or possibly acclimating them, and then gluing them directly to the rock it want them on? Point being to avoid mounts. I have some, but i find them very unattractive, aesthetically speaking.

You don't have to mount them. Most of my old SPS got fragged when I accidentally dropped them. :)

Back