Golden Star Polyps won't come out

BriOnH

Reefing newb
tank.jpg

I just got the coral to the left. As usual I went to my LFS and thought it was really cool, asked it it could survive in my tank, bought it, and forgot the name of it. Ever since I placed it by my GSP's my GSP's wont come out for some reason. They just stay closed.

Could anyone please help me identify the coral to the left (sorry I promise I will get better at remembering names) and tell me if this coral is scaring my GSP's?

Flower pot coral. Don't have one myself, but according to some sources:

"It is aggressive, and ample space should be provided between itself and other neighboring corals. Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where they can sting other species of corals."

"Goniopora sp. require PERFECT water conditions, the proper trace elements and the habitat must match its requirements. One can only do this Goniopora Coral justice by leaving its care to the experienced hobbyist with the expertise and time to keep the coral properly."

"Not suitable for most aquariums, colonies usually die within a year. Very agressive. Difficult to keep alive. Potent nematocycst are capable of inflicting severe damage to nearby corals."

"The Goniopora or Flowerpot Coral has always been a controversial coral in the hobby. Once thought to be impossible to keep, it can now be kept by experienced hobbyists but is still high maintenance. Most die within 3 to 6 months."

Sorry I couldn't find any good news about it :(. I'm sure there are people on here that have kept them successfully and can give you some tips though.

I've found it helpful to post your ideas here before you buy something. That way people can tell you their thoughts and experiences with it.

Biff is correct about your Goni,I would for now move it to a new location,best opposite side of your tank.Don't give up just yet.

From my experience you need a well establish reef tanks(8-12 months).I don't think you need prestine water,my nitrates always ran from 0-20ppm with no ill effects.I kelp mine for over 4 years.They will sting other corals but some like my toadstool never was effected by it.Target feed them every 3 to 4 days but not with a turkey baster because the force of water will cause the tentacles to retract unless you can do it gently.If your flow is to high,you may need to turn off all pumps....as far as food mysis,brine,zooplankton works well.If well maintain they will reproduce.

Have I mention I'm a big Goni lover
here's a website for more care for your Goni.

Goniopora.org:::Goniopora Reference Web Site

Thanks reeffreak, that's exactly what I did. It is clear on the other side of my tank now. I have been feeding it and my polyps with a syringe (no needle though) full of 'invertebrete food'. Hopefully the polyps will come back out tomorrow. Both are beautiful coral.

reeffreak said:
Good luck with your Goni.....they are one beautiful coral.
Thanks, I agree. I moved it to the other side of the tank and in the sand and it is absolutely thriving.

My GSP's still wont come out though. For three days they have been closed now and I am getting kind of worried about them. All other corals(mushrooms and some zoas) and fish are doing well.

Back